• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Hurricane Ian

It's lifting out and GFS becomes trapped
Yeah, it's just meandering north there and what's worse is that it keeps it over water longer because there's nothing to pick it up yet. It just misses the trough so all it has is that slow northward component. Hopefully that doesn't end up happening because the storm surge with that is going to be terrible

Pensicola-bound this time it seems
sfcwind_mslp.us_se.png

As that ASCAT pass showed earlier and you can clearly see it on vis sat now, there is a definitive vigorous spin over water off the South American coast... once the outflow from Fiona starts to subside might see this develop fairly quick. @Shawn 12Z guesstimate seems very plausible. Tomorrow at this time we may actually be tracking something or tomorrow evening

As that ASCAT pass showed earlier and you can clearly see it on vis sat now, there is a definitive vigorous spin over water off the South American coast... once the outflow from Fiona starts to subside might see this develop fairly quick. @Shawn 12Z guesstimate seems very plausible. Tomorrow at this time we may actually be tracking something or tomorrow evening
Hey, who you callin' an ASCAT? ?

Imagine the strength the canadian would've shown had it bent back over water another 100 miles east. Looks like landfall directly over Edisto. Beach. If I remember correctly, a land falling cane down around Edisto or just further north is a worst case scenario for storm surge and the peninsula.

While not ideal for the central gulf coast, the fact that the trough completely whiffs on picking up the storm, this is going to allow for much needed rain inland from MS through NC. Would not want to be anywhere near NOLA to the western panhandle when it comes through.

Imagine the strength the canadian would've shown had it bent back over water another 100 miles east. Looks like landfall directly over Edisto. Beach. If I remember correctly, a land falling cane down around Edisto or just further north is a worst case scenario for storm surge and the peninsula.

Yep, Edisto is kind of a one way in and out deal too. I believe it was Matthew that wreaked havoc along that area which they had to rebuild the beaches over. Took a couple houses out into the ocean too.

Something else to bring up. I know we like to get caught up in the exact pressure on global models but when a global model computes for a strengthening system like this, they usually tend to underestimate the strength. This is why we use hurricane models to bring the scale size down to the hurricane or storm itself and therefor you get a much better read on pressure fluctuations along the path. Plus we know from a general sense that hurricane strength is very hard to predict vs path. I would focus more on where the storm is headed in global models and then look to mesoscale hurricane models to pin point potentials in strength more accurately.

One thing I do know is to never underestimate the west Caribbean. If the east side is the graveyard, the west is the nursery.

Back