• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Hurricane Dorian

How many other storms have hit the US three times? This one could hit Puerto Rico, Florida and go into the GOM for a third.

Puerto Rico is not a state and therefore not part of the United States of America so it's only two hits to the U.S. It is our territory, though. But it doesn't appear all that uncommon for a tropical system to make landfall on PR and then hit Florida and somewhere on the gulf coast states. If it tracks over PR for the length of the island, it may not recover much organization and strength before hitting FL. Hopefully this is the case.

Puerto Rico is not a state and therefore not part of the United States of America so it's only two hits to the U.S. It is our territory, though. But it doesn't appear all that uncommon for a tropical system to make landfall on PR and then hit Florida and somewhere on the gulf coast states. If it tracks over PR for the length of the island, it may not recover much organization and strength before hitting FL. Hopefully this is the case.
Oh ok. Dr. Masters said it could be a rare triple threat so didn’t know how many have done this to..Americans.

While the Euro landfalls in the same spot as 0z, afterwards it is a good chunk farther SW as it’s motion is much more westward due to the stronger ridge to its north which allows the second more stronger landfall in the GOM. The cutoff over the southern gulf is also stronger.

Really curious about the EPS.

While the Euro landfalls in the same spot as 0z, afterwards it is a good chunk farther SW as it’s motion is much more westward due to the stronger ridge to its north which allows the second more stronger landfall in the GOM. The cutoff over the southern gulf is also stronger.

12Z EPS has a considerable amount of members landfalling along the northern Florida, Georgia, and South Carolina coastlines. There are even a couple landfalling along the NC coastline. There is still considerable spread among the members though as several members also move accross Florida into the GOM.

EPS 06Z is first 12Z is second

aal05_2019082706_eps_track_by_model_late.pngaal05_2019082712_eps_track_by_model_late.png

12Z EPS has a considerable amount of members landfalling along the northern Florida, Georgia, and South Carolina coastlines. There are even a couple landfalling along the NC coastline. There is still considerable spread among the members though as several members also move accross Florida into the GOM.

Definite jump North with the EPS since 00Z:

EPSTracks_2019-08-27_12Z_WN.png

Definite jump North with the EPS since 00Z:

View attachment 22105
Difficult to tell but it looks like, with the exception of a couple, most of the stronger members take it west.... which makes sense. But dang there is that one H that runs up I-95.... of course a couple down there that look like the ICON too so, long way to go no doubt

At this point I don’t think we’ll truly know the track until it gets closer to Florida. It’s all depending on the strength and timing of the ridge.
Along with about 6 other variables ... hang tight, keep an eye out, but no one needs to start calling a "landfall" or even strength at this point in time ...

Womp. May see more northward adjustments on upcoming model suites which puts the Carolinas & Georgia more in play. This also gives more time for Dorian to intensify and provides it a better chance to interact w/ the mid-latitude jet streak over the Carolinas around day 5 which would favor rapid intensification

Womp. May see more northward adjustments on upcoming model suites which puts the Carolinas & Georgia more in play.

One of the other 6 factors I alluded to above ... also include size, structure, sheer, steering currents, speed ...
Great point, Webb!
Phil

Instead of having a better idea of the track today, we have more uncertainty. I don't want to wish anything bad for anyone, but I am afraid if it doesn't hit south Florida and the more it stays north it will only get stronger over the open water for a landfall somewhere else.

Instead of having a better idea of the track today, we have more uncertainty. I don't want to wish anything bad for anyone, but I am afraid if it doesn't hit south Florida and the more it stays north it will only get stronger over the open water for a landfall somewhere else.

Definitely begins to put folks like us in NC closer to the line of fire if short-term trends continue going forward. Still a lot left to sort out.

Back