• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Hurricane Dorian

2 comments from the 5:00 NHC discussion:

So they split the difference when they don't know.....interesting. I guess its better than saying nothing.
"The NHC intensity forecast lies
near the upper end of the guidance in the short term, while the
system is over the Caribbean Sea, but near the middle of the
guidance envelope after that."

For perspective, the error could be:
Daytona Beach to Miami - 258 miles
Daytona Beach to Savannah - 231 miles
"The new NHC track forecast is largely unchanged while Dorian is i
the Caribbean, but it has been shifted slightly to the north thereafter. Users are reminded not to focus on the details of the extended track forecast as the
average 5-day track error is around 200 miles."

2 comments from the 5:00 NHC discussion:

So they split the difference when they don't know.....interesting. I guess its better than saying nothing.
"The NHC intensity forecast lies
near the upper end of the guidance in the short term, while the
system is over the Caribbean Sea, but near the middle of the
guidance envelope after that."

For perspective, the error could be:
Daytona Beach to Miami - 258 miles
Daytona Beach to Savannah - 231 miles
"The new NHC track forecast is largely unchanged while Dorian is i
the Caribbean, but it has been shifted slightly to the north thereafter. Users are reminded not to focus on the details of the extended track forecast as the
average 5-day track error is around 200 miles."
Well here we are, 5 days out. The question (I guess, one of many questions), assuming this thing survives and strengthens, which direction will the 200 mile error be in?

Another hurricane hunter aircraft is currently investigating Dorian and we'll see what they find in a bit.

Last night's mission generally found Dorian to be slightly weaker than the NHC estimated and the LLC was barely closed on the SW side.

First glance this morning certainly doesn't seem there's been much of a change in overall organization since the planes left last night.
recon_AF309-0505A-DORIAN.png

Dorian definitely looks like crap on the Martinque radar. As Levi says in this tweet, if the storm actually was intensifying, you'd see a strong curved band structure wrapping around the low-level center. and It's honestly hard to make out where the center is. The convection really looks no different than what we deal w/ on a regular basis over the SE US in the summer.

Dorian definitely looks like crap on the Martinque radar. As Levi says in this tweet, if the storm actually was intensifying, you'd see a strong curved band structure wrapping around the low-level center. and It's honestly hard to make out where the center is. The convection really looks no different than what we deal w/ on a regular basis over the SE US in the summer.

You think its gonna survive?

It may not survive in that Dorian could become an open wave sometime in the next day or two but it's becoming increasingly likely that the meat of the system will survive the trek over the Greater Antilles and enter the southeastern Bahamas late this week
With 3 days for some people somewhere on the east coast to get to safety IF its intensifying......sounds like fun

Yeah there really isn't much to the storm right now and it's really being hit hard by that shear now. It probably will weaken into a depression or even a wave, but we still have to see about after Hispaniola.

Yeah there really isn't much to the storm right now and it's really being hit hard by that shear now. It probably will weaken into a depression or even a wave, but we still have to see about after Hispaniola.
As you noted yesterday, GFS takes it a wave before the island....

And I'm starting to think the GFS is right prior to the islands, but the other models are after. It would make sense as they are starting to converge.
You see any reason that high won't be as stout as presented? Last thing we need is a runner up the coast.

Back