• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Hurricane Dorian

Dry air and shear taking its toll. You can clearly see the CDO being eroded on the northern side.

Question is can it recover?View attachment 22045

Hopefully not, but the problem is that the model consensus has it weakening about now and throughout the Caribbean to a wave meaning this is fully expected. Unfortunately, that same consensus is getting more aggressive regarding regeneration once leaving the Caribbean due to ideal conditions of high SSTs, low shear, high dewpoints, and very little land interaction. Don’t be fooled if this weakens to a wave in the E Caribbean.

Hopefully not, but the problem is that the model consensus has it weakening about now and throughout the Caribbean to a wave meaning this is fully expected. Unfortunately, that same consensus is getting more aggressive regarding regeneration once leaving the Caribbean due to ideal conditions of high SSTs, low shear, high dewpoints, and very little land interaction. Don’t be fooled if this weakens to a wave in the E Caribbean.

That is where the worst case could unfold. A weak storm that gets by the big islands with little impact. Two days with very good conditions under a big ridge and you could bring this ashore in a peaking state. We have seen this twice over the past two years.

Yeah the quick forward speed over the Bahamas might be the only thing keeping it from being a major.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It sure would be something if the Legacy does better with this one than the FV3.

SUMMARY OF 1100 PM AST...0300 UTC...INFORMATION
-----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...13.2N 59.7W
ABOUT 95 MI...155 KM ESE OF ST. LUCIA
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...50 MPH...85 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...WNW OR 290 DEGREES AT 13 MPH...20 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...1003 MB...29.62 INCHES

ICON a tick more NE. Anyone know how it did last year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah but a hard straight west hr 105. Matter fact next few frames icon starts trucking southwest

Wondering if it crosses Florida and hops into the Gulf.

Its definitely a realistic possibility

Recent history would favor if there was a big change it being more west vs east but we've got a long way to go with this one. Hispanola can do funny things

The ICON ended up plowing into Cuba.

tbh if that were to be the track I think the intensity of it is too high once it goes through, but who knows what would happen in the Gulf if it didn't get wrecked completely.

edit: lol I think the ICON would eventually be an issue for Mexico based off that track.

The GFS degenerates this thing into an open wave as it has been doing but for a change, it looks a bit further north than the shredder and doesn't interact as much with it. Lets see if that leads to any changes.

Edit: aaanndddd not much so far. Looks like a mess to me on the vort and wind map. Would be a good thing.

Last edited:
I spoke too soon. Probably not going to be major but the GFS looks a lot better organized here compared to 18z on these maps...a trend starting maybe:

1566878590090.png

UKMET Into SE FL and across Lake Okeechobee

GFS actually has a closed low approaching landfall at 126 for the first time

Back