• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Learning Global Warming facts and fiction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well if you upgrade the grid to add capacity it will take care of both issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The cost of "upgrading the grid" to the extent that could make electric vehicles a viable option for just the rich and elite, would make electricity un-affordable for the general public. Don't be stupid and say the government will pay for it, because the general public is what funds the government.

I think Webber pointed out something extremely important that seems to be missed in these discussion: the problem is mostly the rate of change. Typically I see the argument against CC be something like “the Earth has been through warming and cooling cycles for forever” but they don’t discuss just how rapid and nearly instantaneous the recent trend of warming has been. Sure, Earth will deal with it, as all imbalances must be corrected, and we have still to discover maybe some negative feedback loops that could help blunt the warming, but at what cost? Something that isn’t mentioned often is how severe the ecological impact will be and what that could mean for us down the road. Organisms typically adapt to climate changes but given how quick change has been lately we will possibly be facing the 6th mass extinction event according to biologists if we aren’t already. And that’s not trying to sound alarmist but sometimes alarming things happen and I really think we’ve got to stop denying it.

Fyi, having looked at it very meticulously myself over the last several years, Greensboro's "official" snowfall record is not very reliable prior to about the 1940s. There are lots of missing snowstorms in the early part of the record that make those early decade totals look low. You check places like RDU, ILM, CAE, CLT, ATL, etc. the downward trend is obvious & undeniable. Not to mention, the way snow is measured today w/ a snowboard usually biases today's measurements (outside of the occasional very large storm) higher than they used to be when it was mostly voluntary COOP observers measuring snow depth (which is always going to be lower than a snowboard due to compaction, sublimation, melting, more infrequent reporting, etc.). Also, another thing to keep in mind, is that where snow was actually measured in GSO (airport near Kernersville west of downtown now) vs near downtown prior to about 1948, also biases today's totals a tick higher in addition to the aforementioned low bias attributable to missing storms in the record. Same can be said for Raleigh's official snowfall record too, which moved from central Wake Co to NW Wake Co/near Morrisville after 1947.
This is good info, and a good point!

I still think the major drivers in our weather are cyclical. There is no doubt the oceans warming is key to the relatively small area of land mass (compared to the oceans) being up about .8C the past 70-80 years over the continents. That said there is a good deal of variance in the individual continents (as there should be and always has been and will continue to be). Climate is, not a 30 year, 300 year or even 3,000 year daily local weather forecast but an "after the fact" record which has variable effects that we rarely discuss and seem a lot of people believe are caused by AGW. When I see the media say this is more than it used to be whether it is warmer winters or summers, or falls, or springs, hurricanes, fires, tornadoes, floods, earthquakes, volcanoes etc. I merely wait a very short time to hear some say it was because of a warmer world caused by mankind and it goes on and on though the figures they use (if they use any at all) often do not agree with their public pronouncements but they get away with it for the most part. The atmosphere is a stochastic system we have learned a lot about but which throws up curves when ever it feel like we have it figured out.

That makes an argument that global warming is welcome and needed.

I’m tired of the earth warming, I want it cooler, and I think we’ve spent enough money on it now we should start seeing some cooler trends as the incoming years approach. Also saving our seashores.

I’m tired of the earth warming, I want it cooler, and I think we’ve spent enough money on it now we should start seeing some cooler trends as the incoming years approach. Also saving our seashores.

Well guess what? If you want to terraform the planet to make it cooler you would have to remove huge amounts of CO2.

Well guess what? If you want to terraform the planet to make it cooler you would have to remove huge amounts of CO2.

Then maybe that’s what needs to take place. Not sure what the ideal temps should be, so maybe let’s focus on that first and then find a way to get it there.

I doubt there would be much agreement even on that. I thought the early to mid 80s was perfect, but someone else might prefer it the way it is now.

One country has done all the spending lol, which isn't going to change one thing.

A big fat F. And no it’s not snowing in march either. And I’ll go ahead and save some time and rate next winter an F as well.
I have hope for future winters as we are finally pouring money and resources into combatting global warming, and it’s just a matter of time before our efforts result in a more normal winter for us.

I have hope for future winters as we are finally pouring money and resources into combatting global warming, and it’s just a matter of time before our efforts result in a more normal winter for us.
What are we pouring money into that might actually help. Im not being a smart a$$ but am actually curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back