• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Global Model Runs Discussion 2018

0z models, the African wave(which for now is out of the TWO though I bet it comes back)

CMC has a storm into GA/SC at day 9
Euro has a very strong vort over South Florida at the same time
GFS did at 18z develop in the Gulf in fantasy land and head for Louisiana
FV GFS does the same but heads for Texas

Last edited:
0z models, the African wave(which for now is out of the TWO though I bet it comes back)

Models have been on and off with this wave for a couple of days. The 0z I think it was Friday morning had a weak system off of the Se coast. I don't think it would be shocking to see some low end development

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The CMC is something Larry doesn't want to see, which is a landfalling cat 1 into Savannah area and then the storm moves up into N GA, which is something I don't want to see after Irma.
gem_mslp_wind_seus_37.png

Now the FV3 is something we should keep track of and compare with the GFS itself to see how well the new model will do when it comes to the tropics. The GFS currently seems dead when it comes to tropical activity, while the FV3 has this though it is fantasy land. Note there is a low that forms around 276, which at this frame is in the Bahamas.
fv3p_mslp_pcpn_atl_64.png

If anyone's interested in watching/monitoring Africa and what may someday come off the coast, here are three good visual links ...

http://images.intellicast.com/WxImages/SatelliteLoop/hiatlsat_None_anim.gif

http://tropic.ssec.wisc.edu/real-time/europe/images/irnmet7kml.GIF

http://tropic.ssec.wisc.edu/real-time/europe/images/irmet7kml.GIF

Best!
Phil
~~~~~~~
PS ...
The "parent" source is (and has been for a long time) in our Wiki>Models, here -

Last edited:
After not having much on the 0Z EPS, the 12Z EPS along with the operational are back to what had been showing up on multiple runs mid to late last week meaning ~20% of the EPS members in addition to the operational showing a genesis near 9/1 in the far E MDR. The members' TCs stay small with ~3 of them becoming a small H. Most either dissipate or recurve before 50W though one makes it intact just past 60W on 9/8 before dissipating NE of the Caribbean. So, as far as the W basin is concerned, the model based suggestion is that this is likely to not end up being much of a threat should it form though we'd have to see as we get closer to potential development

However, follow-up waves are also showing some geneses between 9/5 and 9/10 in the E MDR. Those are way too far out in time to speculate on right now. But if there were to be multiple TCs to form in the E MDR 9/1-10, it wouldn't be outside of climo norms even in an assumed oncoming weak El Nino for one to at least threaten the W basin as we head toward mid-Sep. though I'm not predicting that.
In the W basin, the 12Z EPS has a few TC geneses in the GOM and off the SE US coast 9/5-8. Something like that would probably end up being the greater threat for obvious reasons.

I fear the Atlantic is about to "wake up"....
I feel the same way. The LR models seem to indicate a train of waves coming off Africa starting at the end of the week and onward. As I said before, there is no way we will make it through the season with just 5 storms. But for sure 0 August hurricanes this year. Stats so far : 5/2/0

I feel the same way. The LR models seem to indicate a train of waves coming off Africa starting at the end of the week and onward. As I said before, there is no way we will make it through the season with just 5 storms. But for sure 0 August hurricanes this year. Stats so far : 5/2/0
Can't be posting much today, but here's a good visual on "a {possible} train of waves coming off Africa" ...

hiatlsat_None_anim.gif

irmet7kml.GIF

Yeah LR models certainly show the wave train firing up and probably a race between when that occurs and the pattern flips to more east coast troughiness, let's hope the latter wins

That ridge screams “ no recurve” and right into the gulf, especially if that strengthens or retrogrades/builds back to the SE area. Lots of ifs and plenty of time to watch
Yup ... except ... except ... a few models have that ridge buckling like a horseshoe and whatever going north toward Ireland (figuratively speaking) ... too early to start calling anything yet, except maybe it's time for getting out the popcorn and RC Cola ... movie credits might start rolling

Back