• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Observations Fright Night Halloween Week Severe Obs

That's wild. I have heard thunder for the last hour and it's still quite far away.
I heard some from some of the cells that formed and missed me, but zero thunder with actual front!

Well that was a super quick hitter. Had about 45 minutes of thunder as a prelude, then maybe 10-15 minutes of heavy weather and done. For a moment I was a little nervous, but while this was a pretty good storm, it wasn't anything like the nastiest one I had back in the summer that became a whiteout outside and felled a tree on one of the roads in my neighborhood.

Did lose power during the storm. For a strange thing after that, as it was trying to come back on, it was flickering to try to be spooky. Happy Halloween!

Little to no action Statesville to Winston-Salem area. Little wind and heavy rain. Some power outages in Wilkes but more in Mooresville.

Cape pretty high still.

2ab6f9fdd6665cc155ffabe2ec9822c3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't even hear much much thunder lol, it just rained really hard for like twenty minutes.

Sent from my Z983 using Tapatalk

Yeah so that tornado that came through here was supposedly confirmed. i didn't see it though.

FB_IMG_1572561893612.jpg

Meoscale Discussion 2134
NWS Storm Prediction Center Norman OK
0536 PM CDT Thu Oct 31 2019

Areas affected...central North Carolina into Virginia

Concerning...Tornado Watch 687...688...

Valid 312236Z - 010030Z

The severe weather threat for Tornado Watch 687, 688 continues.

SUMMARY...The threat for damaging wind and a few tornadoes is expected to increase over the next several hours from North Carolina into Virginia.

DISCUSSION...Storms continue to develop near the cold front, most notably over central SC and now into central NC. Here, warmer surface temperatures exist which is helping low-level instability and reducing minor levels of convective inhibition. Wind profiles across the region are strong, with the greatest 0-1 SRH from north-central NC into VA. Here, values are exceeding 300 m2/s2, which is quite favorable for tornadoes.

Strong low-level mean winds will aid downdraft production, with swaths of damaging winds expected as these storms move rapidly northeast. While storms will be focused along the cold front, typically favoring QLCS, deep-layer shear is oriented such that solated, individual supercells will be possible, with a threat of tornadoes. Severe storms developing over NC will move into southern VA this evening, with a continued tornado threat.

Looks like the storms should be rolling through here in the next couple of hours. I guess this is the calm before the storm.

Some pics, there was probably 40-50 mph gusts, not bad, but saw visible weak rotation on the very left edge along a inflow band/notch in the QLCS, and a nice surging area of rain 9769AD51-8AC0-4A03-97A8-D5DB9C4D2B06.jpegEE2A424D-6B4C-46C4-A2F1-347B8966E77E.jpeg

The Richmond/anson county cell is concerning to me and should get into the area around 8pm. With it being isolated from there rest of the line and starting to bow now it might cause some issues.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Just got power back again 15 minutes ago. Lost it again for an hour and spent about half of it outside to welcome in the first dropping the hammer front. You could already feel the front full bore in the 6:00 hour. It dropped about 8 degrees in an hour and was still dropping.

Definitely sped up from earlier in the week where it wasn't expected to be coming in until tomorrow.

It's pouring and the lightning is crazy. Yet there are children running down the road with their pumpkin baskets. Poor kids.

Back