• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Freezing Rain, Sleet, Snow, Rain...Kitchen Sink (12/15-16)

You are exactly right. From the late 70's, 80's and even part of the 90' we had real Cad events. Not anymore though. Growing up before social media and weather models free to the public a rules of thumb was "the wind has to be blowing from the NE for us to get a major storm".
I agree 100% When the Wind is out of the NE, I always knew models would be too warm at 2m and usually a good recipe for wintry weather (if a other parameters behaved as well).

Dry slot is here. Temp on the hill holding at 30 with airport at 33/30. Holding out hope it stays cool and what swings through late afternoon has a chance to overcome the warm nose. NAM says it rain so ...

Scratching my head at this though:
This Afternoon
Snow and sleet. High near 32. Light and variable wind becoming northwest around 5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total daytime snow and sleet accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.
Tonight
Snow and sleet, mainly before 2am. Low around 32. Northwest wind 3 to 7 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow and sleet accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

Maybe point and click is busted.

Dry slot is here. Temp on the hill holding at 30 with airport at 33/30. Holding out hope it stays cool and what swings through late afternoon has a chance to overcome the warm nose. NAM says it rain so ...

Scratching my head at this though:
This Afternoon
Snow and sleet. High near 32. Light and variable wind becoming northwest around 5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total daytime snow and sleet accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.
Tonight
Snow and sleet, mainly before 2am. Low around 32. Northwest wind 3 to 7 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow and sleet accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

Maybe point and click is busted.

This is what I get when I put my zip code into the Blacksburg site. Something isn't right there lol. If we switch back to snow I think at most we may get a coating.

Detailed Forecast
This Afternoon
Snow before 3pm, then snow and sleet. High near 32. Calm wind becoming northwest around 5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total daytime snow and sleet accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.
Tonight
Rain, snow, and sleet, mainly before 3am. Low around 32. Northwest wind 3 to 7 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow and sleet accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

d68187b40afbff7fc43ce465f6be14de.jpg

Solid rates of ~50 dbz in northern Delaware right on the edge of transition. Some of this is due to melting snow but even in total snow areas you can see rates of 45-50. Goes to show how it can help to be right on the edge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is what I get when I put my zip code into the Blacksburg site. Something isn't right there lol. If we switch back to snow I think at most we may get a coating.

Detailed Forecast
This Afternoon
Snow before 3pm, then snow and sleet. High near 32. Calm wind becoming northwest around 5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total daytime snow and sleet accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.
Tonight
Rain, snow, and sleet, mainly before 3am. Low around 32. Northwest wind 3 to 7 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow and sleet accumulation of less than a half inch possible.
That's more like mine too. I intentionally chose the city for the warmest option. I don't want to bash because hey have an incredibly hard job and miller B setups just totally suck. But it is weird that all we had was ZR and yet the S word is prominent in the forecast.

That's more like mine too. I intentionally chose the city for the warmest option. I don't want to bash because hey have an incredibly hard job and miller B setups just totally suck. But it is weird that all we had was ZR and yet the S word is prominent in the forecast.

Maybe they are using the HRRR to make their forecast even though its really busted bigtime so far. Just looked at the 19Z run and it has us switching to snow around 6 and ending up with about 2 in accumulation. I'll believe it when I see it lol. But yeah forecasting in this area is really difficult, especially with Miller B's. Usually in this type of set up we would have at least gotten a couple of inches before a changeover.

Looks like IAD went over to ZR at 2 PM, though. 32/ZR as of 3 PM, up from 31 at 2 PM. They could slip above freezing and get some plain old RN soon. Looks like IAD had about fourish hours of snow with maybe a couple tenths liquid equivalent, so I’m guessing they got 1-2”, which I think was a low end bust.

DCA, meanwhile, has gone over to straight up rain already as of 3 PM, 34/RN. 33/RN as of 3 PM for BWI, as well.

EDIT: Looks like Leesburg got about 3-4” of snow, IAD around 2”, according to reports.

Code:
...Loudoun County...
  Hillsboro 3 NW          5.0   238 PM 12/16  Trained Spotter        
  Leesburg 2 NW           4.0   307 PM 12/16  Trained Spotter        
  Countryside 2 ESE       4.0   145 PM 12/16  Trained Spotter        
  Purcellville            3.5   215 PM 12/16  NWS Employee           
  Hughesville 1 ESE       3.5   230 PM 12/16  Trained Spotter        
  Leesburg 2 WSW          3.0   253 PM 12/16  Trained Spotter        
  Arcola 1 NNE            2.8   137 PM 12/16  Trained Spotter        
  Dulles International    2.1   130 PM 12/16  Airport                
  Arcola 2 SSE            2.0   140 PM 12/16  Trained Spotter        
  Ashburn 3 WSW           2.0   115 PM 12/16  NWS Employee