• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Freezing Rain, Sleet, Snow, Rain...Kitchen Sink (12/15-16)

This is a very good post. Soon, we will see the 8” turn into 20” snow maps for those in western NC. Please use the right map when dealing with mixing. Chances of snow favor western areas vs eastern areas but light accumulations.

The 18z ICON was actually warmer at the sfc because it had less dynamically driven cooling from precip prior to sunrise vs earlier runs, however drizzle, freezing drizzle, and light ZR will likely start earlier than forecast by globals (as is often the case) & that's typically when the most efficient ZR accumulation will begin to occur in the far western piedmont.
When you say for western piedmont are you referring to nc only

While the rgem May be a tad to cool in the eastern zones towards Raleigh, it’s been super consistent with this and honestly I see this as a solution if CAD was a bit stronger than modeled, just way less ice towards C NC and more towards western NC 5A80B7DB-7A54-4004-AC48-102A8F16268B.jpeg

While the rgem May be a tad to cool in the eastern zones towards Raleigh, it’s been super consistent with this and honestly I see this as a solution if CAD was a bit stronger than modeled, just way less ice towards C NC and more towards western NC View attachment 57543
A couple front end pingers and I’ll be ecstatic

Notice on the new 18z DWD-ICON, the sfc high is a tad further south than the previous run, this is mainly because the deep-layer flow is less zonal over SE Canada as the gap between the 50-50 low & our wave in the southern branch of the jet widens, this is a synoptic-scale tweak we need to pay close attention to tonight & tomorrow as our wave gets sampled by the RAOBs and fully ingested into the models by 12z tomorrow. Having that mid-level shortwave ridge into the Lakes & Ontario is crucial in this regard in directing the low-level sfc high further south & that's a key element this particular setup is missing (if any) wrt classic CAD

View attachment 57538

View attachment 57540
If this wave keep on slowing and let the CAD build in could you see freezing rain in ne ga or is this only a upstate and nc storm

While the rgem May be a tad to cool in the eastern zones towards Raleigh, it’s been super consistent with this and honestly I see this as a solution if CAD was a bit stronger than modeled, just way less ice towards C NC and more towards western NC View attachment 57543

Funny how the storms seem to know where the Wake County line is.

I am hoping the CAD is stronger here and hangs on longer than forecasted like it did a couple of times this year.

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_11.png

Wintry mix breaking out in NC @ 66 hours.

Obvious trend here due to a slower shortwave For more filtration of lower dew points View attachment 57547

No net change on sfc temp output, but the slower southern stream wave translating to deeper CAD is arguably a favorable signal for colder low-level temps.

gfs_mslpaNorm_eus_fh66_trend.gif

Latest forecast from RNK!
Tuesday Night
Partly Cloudy In The Evening, Then Cloudy With A
Chance Of Snow And Freezing Rain After Midnight. Little Or No
Snow Accumulation. Lows In The Upper 20s. Light And Variable
Winds. Chance Of Precipitation 50 Percent.

Wednesday
Freezing Rain. Sleet With A Chance Of Snow In The
Morning, Then Rain In The Afternoon. Light Snow Accumulation.
Highs In The Upper 30s. Chance Of Precipitation 90 Percent.

Maybe try it again next weekend?

Saturday Night
Mostly Cloudy. A Chance Of Snow Showers After
Midnight. Lows Around 30. Chance Of Snow 40 Percent.

Sunday
Mostly Cloudy In The Morning, Then Becoming Partly
Sunny. A Chance Of Snow Showers In The Morning. A Chance Of Rain
Showers. Highs In The Upper 40s. Chance Of Precipitation
50 Percent.

Back