• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Freezing Rain, Sleet, Snow, Rain...Kitchen Sink (12/15-16)

When we get to the 6z and 12z runs tomorrow for the nam, that’ll be much better time frame to get a look at where we are headed

3km NAM colder than the 12k leading into the event. Granted it stops at 1am and has ZR breaking out on the NC/SC border

It's almost comical how well it follows the I-85 line up to the NC/SC border.
Yeah for real, I’m thinking if you live along the I-85 corridor, it’s literally the difference between a degree, it could go either way, the precip isn’t that heavy either which doesn’t help until that afternoon, I guess for areas near 85 it’s more of a tree/power line ice event while areas further north it’s more of everything
This is close af, once we’re close to the event it’s gonna be very important to see your DP/WB temp/temp

So I haven’t been paying any attention to the storm coming here overnight as I figured no chance at snow other then a few flurries. Then I looked at the euro which Im assuming is not going to be a reality. Anyone care to explain why it’s showing this and if it’s possible to get a surprise like this with the storm coming in overnight up here?

8FAE1BD6-0E44-4731-A0E7-E27664DE947D.pngAA495D2E-171A-4024-ACEC-BBA62180D370.png

The slower this wave in the southwestern US is, the stronger the CAD is gonna be on Wed.

View attachment 57532

Notice on the new 18z DWD-ICON, the sfc high is a tad further south than the previous run, this is mainly because the deep-layer flow is less zonal over SE Canada as the gap between the 50-50 low & our wave in the southern branch of the jet widens, this is a synoptic-scale tweak we need to pay close attention to tonight & tomorrow as our wave gets sampled by the RAOBs and fully ingested into the models by 12z tomorrow. Having that mid-level shortwave ridge into the Lakes & Ontario is crucial in this regard in directing the low-level sfc high further south & that's a key element this particular setup is missing (if any) wrt classic CAD

icon_mslp_pcpn_eus_fh51_trend.gif

icon_z500_vort_eus_fh51_trend.gif

I really like the placement of the ZR here. Obviously cut those totals down up in the triad. But the heaviest totals in the upstate are likely to be in eastern Greenville county, Spartanburg county, and Cherokee county.

Attachments

• 87AC4389-336F-44E6-AE92-43269AA22761.jpeg
    87AC4389-336F-44E6-AE92-43269AA22761.jpeg
    213.9 KB · Views: 60
@Webberweather53 im seeing the same trends on the 18z RGEM

The 18z ICON was actually warmer at the sfc because it had less dynamically driven cooling from precip prior to sunrise vs earlier runs, however drizzle, freezing drizzle, and light ZR will likely start earlier than forecast by globals (as is often the case) & that's typically when the most efficient ZR accumulation will begin to occur in the far western piedmont.

Back