• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Freezing Ferocious February

Tony,
Thanks for the advice. My house is brick and directly on a slab/no crawlspace.
As is mine! Slab, my post earlier has worked for me

The GFS forecast from a few days ago was actually very good in comparison to the European, but it has actually increased the amplitude of its MJO forecast in phase 6, there was little change in peak amplitude. A compromise solution will likely happen to an extent but it's going to be heavily weighted in favor of the GFS.
View attachment 3543

The peak was ~4.2 on the run that ends Feb 8th, which was the 1/25 run and a run you're not showing here in your animation. It was literally off the chart. Also, you're not showing today's run (which would end on 2/11), which for some reason hasn't come out. By the way, other models like the JMA are close to the EPS fwiw. In other words, the GEFS is out on its own.

It almost sucked me in. A few more good runs and it would of got me. That said I had to double check when I barely saw any snow since I was getting use to the fantasy paste jobs the models were throwing out the last 3 days.

Im right there with you man. Hell, I have a cabin booked in the mountains thats right around 3,000 feet and it has even started to dwindle a little bit there and has me nervous. I am hoping we will at least see something. The Euro is the most bullish, but its nothing like it had been showing for days. Still plenty of time!

That's at about a 3.0 for the highest while in phase 7 on this latest EPS vs its prediction of 2.5 in phase 7 three days ago. OTOH, the GEFS had 4.2 for the strongest in phase 7 three days ago. That could still end up verifying way too strong. It came down to 4.0 in yesterday's run. I still haven't seen today's run. It looks like we may be headed toward verification near the middle, which would be in the 3.3-3.4 area. In the vast majority of cases, the EPS wins even as you've noted. But maybe not this time as you predicted due to how it has done in the past with similar situations.

These are the Euro MJO forecast from 1 and 2 weeks ago. The GFS was much more amplified for the same time period, the Euro is clearly taking a back seat to the GFS on the MJO atm.

ECMF_phase_MANOM_51m_small(200).gif
euro_bias(1).gif

The peak was ~4.2 on the run that ends Feb 8th, which was the 1/25 run and a run you're not showing here in your animation. It was literally off the chart. Also, you're not showing today's run (which would end on 2/11), which for some reason hasn't come out.

Ok but the idea was the amplitude averaged over several forecasts of the GFS really hasn't changed much while the European's has consistently amplifying on literally every single run. The upward adjustments by the Euro have been nothing short of comical while the GFS has remained comparably rock solid. One run of the GFS backing off slightly on peak MJO amplitude in comparison to the European's consistent dampening bias aren't comparable in terms of consistency or accuracy. The GFS is clearly beating the Euro and has been for the past few weeks. I don't see that changing much going forward over the next week or so

Ok but the idea was the amplitude averaged over several forecasts of the GFS really hasn't changed much while the European's has consistently amplifying on literally every single run. One run of the GFS backing off slightly on peak MJO amplitude in comparison to the European's consistent dampening bias aren't comparable in terms of consistency or accuracy. The GFS is clearly beating the Euro and has been for the past few weeks.

The GEFS may win and you've done very well in alerting us to the GEFS having a much better chance than usual to do better than the EPS due to the situation and it may be trending toward a GEFS victory, but I still want to see the final verification before declaring the GEFS the outright winner just yet. Regardless, this is a learning process and you've been the reason. This may even end up fooling MDA pro mets and they're usually excellent!

The GEFS may win and you've done very well in alerting us to the GEFS having a much better chance than usual to do better than the EPS due to the sitution and it may be trending toward a GEFS victory, but I still want to see the final verification before declaring the GEFS the outright winner just yet. Regardless, this is a learning process and you've been the reason. This may even end up fooling MDA pro mets and they're usually excellent!

The GEFS actually has been the outright winner the last 2 weeks. The Euro had the MJO going nearly into the COD (as shown above) while the GFS showed a strong event entering phase 6 about a week or so ago. The MJO has verified more amped than forecasted by virtually every model and the GEFS was the only suite that came anywhere close to being right over the Maritime Continent. We'll have to see it goes for 2 weeks in a row.

Last edited:
The GEFS actually has been the outright winner the last 2 weeks. The Euro had the MJO going nearly into the COD (as shown above) while the GFS showed a strong event entering phase 6 a few weeks ago. The MJO has verified more amped than forecasted by virtually every model and the GEFS was the only suite that came anywhere close to being right over the Maritime Continent. We'll have to see it goes for 3 weeks in a row.

Good point, the GEFS already killed the EPS in phase 5 and is about to in phase 6. Will it
also in phase 7? That was what I was following specifically where it went off the chart. Maybe but let's see the verification.

The GEFS actually has been the outright winner the last 2 weeks. The Euro had the MJO going nearly into the COD (as shown above) while the GFS showed a strong event entering phase 6 a few weeks ago. The MJO has verified more amped than forecasted by virtually every model and the GEFS was the only suite that came anywhere close to being right over the Maritime Continent. We'll have to see it goes for 3 weeks in a row.

I take it back, the GEFS has really been beating the piss out of the Euro for the last week or so when the MJO almost entered phase 5, it was just as bad or worse 2 weeks ago. This really doesn't change the idea here that this is probably one of those rare times where the GEFS will beat the ECMWF, it'll start to suck again when the MJO starts to close in on phase 8.
diagram_40days_forecast_GEFS_membera(8).gif

Good point, the GEFS already killed the EPS in phase 5 and is about to in phase 6. Will it
also in phase 7? That was what I was following specifically where it went off the chart. Maybe but let's see the verification.

I'd say so, or at the least the verified forecast will look more like the GEFS than the Euro. The GFS will probably quit beating the Euro once this MJO pulse gets deep into phase 8 and beyond the confines of the Maritime Continent predictability barrier.

Webb and Larry,
Y'all are getting this poor soul really, really confused.
MJO maps ...
Inside out, upside down.
False alarm, the only game in town?
Outside high left, inside low left ... ????
Between y'all ... Consensus? Or not?
:confused:
Phil o_O

Last edited:
I'd say so, or at the least the verified forecast will look more like the GEFS than the Euro. The GFS will probably quit beating the Euro once this MJO pulse gets deep into phase 8 and beyond the confines of the Maritime Continent predictability barrier.

So, are you saying that the research shows the GEFS to usually beat the EPS when it initializes in the Maritime...i.e., just about every time it comes around the right side?? That's really surprising if true since it seems like GEFS wins are rare.

FWIW, the happy hour GFS has a nice looking Miller A system next weekend. It’s not cold enough, but maybe a hint at the look we may get once the pattern change gets setup and matures a bit. Later winter systems tend to have more Miller A systems than earlier on.
Plenty cold to the NW side. Can't wait to see who caves first with tge H5 setup next weekend, gfs or Euro

Sent from my SM-J320VPP using Tapatalk

The bottom line from my perspective of the model consensus is neither a cold dominated pattern nor a warm dominated pattern the next 10 days in the SE. Rather, I'm seeing a a near normal averaged period but not dull at all with a rollercoaster of about half the days colder than normal and the other half warmer than normal, the kind of wx that makes many people sick from the constant changes. Of course, this up and down wx is nothing out of the ordinary either.

Beyond 10 days is very hard to predict with this pattern imo. But the potential for cold then (2nd wk Feb) is there as per 3 indices. We'll see.

Last edited:
Icon and the gfs, .... It's not like there isn't some agreement . The cmc has more of a bowl shaped trough and not as sharp out West. But it's closer to the icon and gfs vs the Euro
fa399d0937a4e7eb0b9596244ccda986.jpg
19bffa93ba4f9c5e453d54f5432f191c.jpg

It's gonna be fun watching the gfs and gefs cave towards the Euro and a much warmer period late next weekend into the next week OR the euro and eps bust towards a colder solution. Clearly one will bust

hard to bet against the more reliable ecmwf or eps

FWIW, the happy hour GFS has a nice looking Miller A system next weekend. It’s not cold enough, but maybe a hint at the look we may get once the pattern change gets setup and matures a bit. Later winter systems tend to have more Miller A systems than earlier on.
There is snow/mix in Augusta and near CHS over the 5/6th, so there's some cold somewhere

Back