• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Flaming Feb 2021

The 00z Euro gave me some January 2002 vibes.
View attachment 70548View attachment 70550
How do you guys remember previous years, esp from 19yrs ago? Previous dates are always thrown around, but unless I look it up, I'm clueless on what happened. I can't even remember winter weather from last year. So, that pattern looks fantastic, but what did it produce?

How do you guys remember previous years, esp from 19yrs ago? Previous dates are always thrown around, but unless I look it up, I'm clueless on what happened. I can't even remember winter weather from last year. So, that pattern looks fantastic, but what did it produce?
Last time I saw a foot of snow

accum.20020102 (2).gif

Hey sry if not allowed but what time do the models run this am?

How can anyone forget the early January snow of 2002 ? It was a great event in Georgia. I was so excited because I had just gotten a brand new camcorder for Christmas.

I just worry if we get some true artic cold, like in the teens, then it's just going to be dry. It seems that much cold is like a repellent for precip for some reason. I'd like to see temps in the mid 20s to 4 or 5 degrees below freezing to get a real shot at snow around here.

Brick you always say this. You’ve said this for a decade at least. What it really means is that we are getting good cold shots due to a favorable pattern with cross polar flow and blocking. It’s an excellent signal for snow. It’s fantastic to see that kind of cold in NC.

To answer your question, a few months ago I was creating 500mb historical analysis of storms to compare to upcoming patterns. I memorized a few big ones. @Webberweather53 is more of an expert on it than I am though, I just made the pretty maps. January 2002 was the last storm that RDU got a foot.
accum.20020102.gif

How can anyone forget the early January snow of 2002 ? It was a great event in Georgia. I was so excited because I had just gotten a brand new camcorder for Christmas.
This site is very underrated, but you look through the synoptic of that storm!
Take this snowmap with a grain of salt, but ATL, CAE, CLT, to RDU got a good snow!
us_reanalyse-en-087-0_modera5_200201040600_487_215.png

To answer your question, a few months ago I was creating 500mb historical analysis of storms to compare to upcoming patterns. I memorized a few big ones. @Webberweather53 is more of an expert on it than I am though, I just made the pretty maps. January 2002 was the last storm that RDU got a foot.
View attachment 70557
I remember the initial surge of precip was east of forecast and the trailing upper energy saved us

Its a gift lol.....I know every legit snow/severe/cane day I have seen in my 48 yrs living in Pitt Co.....though its getting tougher as I get older....

It's nice to see some alignment and maybe better sustainment but this stuff is nearly 10 days away (again). I'll be reserved to see what next the few days bring considering the slide-out we've witnessed over last 72hrs on the models.
Yeah I'm not disappointed to see the Arctic blast fade. I am disappointed it has turned into mid 50s for highs and lows barely freezing if that. Mid next week still looks fine but like you said I hope it doesn't continue to stay 200+ hrs out. The can kicking gets old and the end on the road is coming into view.

The legendary Icon still crushes me with cold air on Sunday morning while some models have me barely reaching freezing now. Lol08CE0A1A-5A69-4BC2-B437-E57493BDE1C7.png

Back