• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Flaming Feb 2021

In the absence of a -NAO, I'd certainly be concerned about the coming cold staying held back over the Rockies & midwest, but I highly doubt it does as long as we have a giant west-based -NAO in place. It's probably a matter of when not if it gets really cold down here. I've personally been yearning for a couple 60-70F days lately here in NC and it's nice that we might finally seem them

-WPO Januarys US Temps.jpg

1612385856173.png

-WPO Januarys w_ -NAO US temps.jpg

1612385878974.png

1612385929082.png

WEBB, or anyone else....I think I have asked before (sorry if have) any maps to that FEB 1973 storm?

This is the SC-based map I worked on last night & today. I went thru all of the written publications from voluntary observers for this storm and read a few pieces of literature for additional observations that are missing from most maps & documents you'll find out there. I also added several obs (like the 6.5" in Laurens, SC for ex) based on snow liquid ratios from adjacent stations.
February 9-10 1973 SC Snowmap.jpg

This is the SC-based map I worked on last night & today. I went thru all of the written publications from voluntary observers for this storm and read a few pieces of literature for additional observations that are missing from most maps & documents you'll find out there. I also added several obs (like the 6.5" in Laurens, SC for ex) based on snow liquid ratios from adjacent stations.
View attachment 70733
Thank you. Selfishly, would love that storm around here...hahah

Hi everyone. There's been a ton of banter in the main discussion thread over the past couple of days. We've been addressing individuals as fast as we can. If you see a post that you think is in the wrong thread, please use the REPORT feature. If you post banter in the discussion thread, you will be issued a warning and timeouts will be given as the warnings accumulate.

-3 warnings is a 1 day ban
-5 is a 2 day ban
-8 is 3 day ban
-10 is a permanent ban on your account

Please think carefully before posting! Thank you for your support!

Update for this. Now that it is known, I have removed all current warning points and currents bans for people who triggered this system. This is a one-time free reset, try not to do anything to cause it again.

WEBB, or anyone else....I think I have asked before (sorry if have) any maps to that FEB 1973 storm?
This guy's blog is about as detailed as I've seen for the time.

In the absence of a -NAO, I'd certainly be concerned about the coming cold staying held back over the Rockies & midwest, but I highly doubt it does as long as we have a giant west-based -NAO in place. It's probably a matter of when not if it gets really cold down here. I've personally been yearning for a couple 60-70F days lately here in NC and it's nice that we might finally seem them

View attachment 70726

View attachment 70728

View attachment 70725

View attachment 70729

View attachment 70731
Might sneak out a severe weather setup before we switch

Thank you! GA or Bama as well? plus wanted to see if we have any H5 or SFC maps that he might have.

Thank you. Selfishly, would love that storm around here...hahah

I don't blame ya. I know NWS ILM has made a nice map of the snow from this storm. I could probably make a more localized one for south-central GA if you'd like.

1612386503774.png

Here's the z500 vort near the peak of this storm during the night of the 9th into the 10th.

Screen Shot 2021-02-03 at 4.06.08 PM.png

Here's the hemispheric 500mb anomaly map I pulled from NOAA ESRL. Tbh, it was a crappy-looking pattern in a large-scale sense that triggered this storm
1612386747284.png

Thank you! GA or Bama as well? plus wanted to see if we have any H5 or SFC maps that he might have.
I made this a while back but forgot to post it. Here are the pretty precip maps for that storm.

I posted this site this morning, but you can search through some more parameters.

I made this a while back but forgot to post it. Here are the pretty precip maps for that storm.

I posted this site this morning, but you can search through some more parameters.

Wow, that animation is absolutely beautiful, makes me wanna get back on python again more regularly.

Need to see Mar 1980 now thanks.....

I don't blame ya. I know NWS ILM has made a nice map of the snow from this storm. I could probably make a more localized one for south-central GA if you'd like.

View attachment 70737

Here's the z500 vort near the peak of this storm during the night of the 9th into the 10th.

View attachment 70736

Here's the hemispheric 500mb anomaly map I pulled from NOAA ESRL. Tbh, it was a crappy-looking pattern in a large-scale sense that triggered this storm
View attachment 70738
Thank you! I know the look, as of now, doesn't really look like this but I really could see a good southern slider system for the I-20 corridor south and I-85 and I-40 south. To me....as of now...the pattern screams potential

Here is a snippet from James Spann!!!
LONG RANGE IDEAS: While the idea of Arctic air entering the Deep South next week is now off the table, we note very cold air will be looming north of here through next week. Temperatures this morning over Alaska were as cold as -40F, and that kind of air covers much of western Canada and the Arctic region. That air is heavy, and at some point will have to move.

One run of the American GFS model today shows a big snow/ice event for Alabama in 10 days. You will see that plastered all over social media, but it is meaningless at this point. Having said that, the players are on the field for some potential for winter mischief by mid-month. Arctic air and an active southern branch of the jet stream will be watched closely. But, we could go through the entire month of February without a winter storm threat; this is Alabama after all. But, it wouldn’t be a big shock if we have at least a chance of wintry precipitation within the next three weeks. We will see.

Back