• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern February Discussion Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. I talked to a pro met today and he said that even though we're headed toward MJO phase 8, Indonesian convection, which has been extra persistent this winter, is expected to linger, which may make the effects act more like phases 4-5 than phase 8. He was saying that earlier this winter there have been phase 7-8-1-2 that were warm in the E US because of this. I'm just passing this along. I hope he's wrong about the upcoming MJO phases 7-8, etc. One thing that's different now and upcoming is a strong negative AO (even after adjusting for GEFS -AO bias), which I pointed out to him. He doesn't seem to be thinking we'll get a strong -AO cold response. I honestly think he's off but he's the pro, not I.
I bet Eric Webb might find this met's MJO thoughts interesting. Also, I wonder what Shane thinks about this.

2. The PNA adjusted for GEFS slight -PNA bias is now projected to reach a whopping ~+2.0 2/15! There have been only 3 met winter days since 1950 with a +2.0+ PNA!!

3. The GEFS bias adjusted AO is now down to below -2.0 and is now not projected to peak til around when the PNA peaks at midmonth.

4. Today's GEFS NAO fcast is quite a bit less positive than recent days and is threatening to actually go negative around midmonth!

Last edited:
Prelim 12Z GFS maps up in Canada suggest this run won't be as cold in the SE as the 6Z run when the cold air gets to the SE. I hope I'm wrong! Let's see.

Working hard today and just popping in to keep up to date as I can.
Saw this a while ago and at least it gives a glimmer of hope, so here's a share (now back to work):

sfc_count_sup814_temp.gif

12z CMC has an ideal track for this upcoming storm 16/17 but no real cold air in place

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Prelim 12Z GFS maps up in Canada suggest this run won't be as cold in the SE as the 6Z run when the cold air gets to the SE. I hope I'm wrong! Let's see.
Yeah the PV setup is later this run. it's finally settling in but it's gonna be too late this run. No big deal, we know we will see different variations. Fun times ahead

Folks, what we're looking for is not cold, but for a cold core low to develop...
Correct, the blocking isn't in right positions to allow cold air itself to get in here. The cold will get in here after the system pushes to the north and east.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

Thanks! You'd think we'd be in an easterly QBO phase next year, so I guess we have that going for us....

Yeah, the current QBO behavior is rather unprecedented, so there's a considerable amount of uncertainty, but if we have a low solar/east QBO/NINO combo next year (which is becoming legitimately possible), we virtually would have hit the jackpot seasonally speaking...

Correct, the blocking isn't in right positions to allow cold air itself to get in here. The cold will get in here after the system pushes to the north and east.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

yes it is. it's just timing . it has to setup just a little quicker . I love this setup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back