• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern February Discussion Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Based on 6Z GFS prelim maps through 192 in Canada, look out below!
Come on Larry! You are the eternal optimist ! Verbatim on 6z, that's a big rainstorm until maybe KY or VA , and that's a changeover after a big rain. Cold comes in behind for a day or two , just like most of winter!

We can't take models verbatim at 10 days out lol, always fails!
Yep! Just look at the one we were chasing a week ago for this Thurday! Hammers NYC and BOS
NW trend FTL !

Very interested in this system. Any time there's an ULL over Texas in February, I'm game immediately. This is much better than relying on a weak wave to dig to get your system.

Euro has it hanging back for a long time, at least a day or two longer than the GFS. Issue is no cold when it finally kicks out of phases. Gfs is too fast. A mix between the two and we'd be game.
12620162d937c28cdae86371ad4f8d77.jpg

Problem is with the cold..we may just need a perfectly timed phase, but not sure how the deep SE would do with that. I'm concerned about a more severe wx look with this one, but lots of time of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Come on Larry! You are the eternal optimist ! Verbatim on 6z, that's a big rainstorm until maybe KY or VA , and that's a changeover after a big rain. Cold comes in behind for a day or two , just like most of winter!

Mack,
1. I'm not talking about a specific storm threat at this point. What I have been talking about for the last few days is a pattern with indices (very rare very high +PNA, lingering solid -AO, and strong Feb phase 8 MJO) in combination favoring solid cold around midmonth. Ever since I started talking about this, the model consensus has gotten colder and colder. The 6Z GFS and GEFS are about l the coldest yet for the period. As I've mentioned many times, the GFS suite normally has been having a bad cold bias this winter (example the false 2/10 storm threat). However, what I've also been saying is that per verification stats, the one time that the GFS has not had a cold bias is when it predicts a solid +PNA. If anything, it has actually underpredicted PNA strength!

Every day for the last week or so the GEFS has been predicting an uncommonly high +PNA, which has a pretty strong correlation with a cold SE US. Initially, the GFS wasn't cold but rather close to normal. However, it appears to be adjusting to that along with the continued currently strengthening -AO as well as progs to go into a solid MJO phase 8. Note also that it has recently been predicting Greenland type -NAO blocking as well.

2. It is still way too far out to get a handle on any potential storm threats due to the evolving more volatile forecast situation. However, climo does say to be wary in mid Feb for potential threats based simply on history as that has been about as active as any period throughout winter for much of the SE. So, whereas I'm still not predicting a winter storm (nobody can reasonably do that this far out), I am saying be on guard. Also, major SE snow history clearly indicates a pretty good bias toward a +PNA when they occur. Add in -AO and potentially a -NAO and you have a pretty good setup in prime climo of mid Feb. Phase 8 MJO probably helps though that is less clear to me. Add in solid cold and the threat is obviously increased.

Very interested in this system. Any time there's an ULL over Texas in February, I'm game immediately. This is much better than relying on a weak wave to dig to get your system.

Euro has it hanging back for a long time, at least a day or two longer than the GFS. Issue is no cold when it finally kicks out of phases. Gfs is too fast. A mix between the two and we'd be game.
12620162d937c28cdae86371ad4f8d77.jpg

Problem is with the cold..we may just need a perfectly timed phase, but not sure how the deep SE would do with that. I'm concerned about a more severe wx look with this one, but lots of time of course.

Are you saying at this time you don't see this going much further south then what is being modeled now? I certainly see a lack of cold air being an issue.

And yes I understand talking about specifics at this time is hard to do.

I love how people are sh****** on the setup next week yet spent over a week tracking this week's NE snow system . it's far better setup vs what we tracked for the last 7 days . Got the pna going up with blocking out front. It's all timing sure but that's nothing new in the SE. All we need is to slow the ULL down or speed the NS up . Much better look vs what we just spent over a week tracking

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I love how people are sh****** and the setup next week yet spent over a week tracking this week's NE snow system . it's far better setup vs what we tracked for the last 7 days . Got the pna going up with blocking out front. It's all timing sure but that's nothing new in the SE. All we need is to slow the ULL down or speed the NS up . Much better look vs what we just spent over a week tracking

We have words censored?

Are you saying at this time you don't see this going much further south then what is being modeled now? I certainly see a lack of cold air being an issue.

And yes I understand talking about specifics at this time is hard to do.

Not sure if you're talking about snow or the upper level low going more further south, but if it holds back and phases with the cold some northern gulf state areas can win out. I don't see it any more south than where it's modeled in the image I posted...timing could help...a later phase with the most perfect vortex/confluence swing down could keep it more south certainly than it is being shown on the gfs...so yeah still time for the snow itself to trend south, but it's been a fast flow lately so not sure a NW trend wouldn't start anyway. But like you said, too far out for specifics

I love how people are sh****** on the setup next week yet spent over a week tracking this week's NE snow system . it's far better setup vs what we tracked for the last 7 days . Got the pna going up with blocking out front. It's all timing sure but that's nothing new in the SE. All we need is to slow the ULL down or speed the NS up . Much better look vs what we just spent over a week tracking

Lol who is Doofus on it? Yeah I mentioned it's a better setup so I agree.

Not sure if you're talking about snow or the upper level low going more further south, but if it holds back and phases with the cold some northern gulf state areas can win out. I don't see it any more south than where it's modeled in the image I posted...timing could help...a later phase with the most perfect vortex/confluence swing down could keep it more south certainly than it is being shown on the gfs...so yeah still time for the snow itself to trend south, but it's been a fast flow lately so not sure a NW trend wouldn't start anyway. But like you said, too far out for specifics

Just the low itself was all I was speaking of...Thanks...

not you Jon, the normal trolls that pop in, drop the same lines and leave thinking they are adding to the conversation

I have a feeling that I'm ignoring one poster in particular that you are referring to. What's the stance on banning a poster like that? Just curious on how you will handle the trolls and pot-stirrers. Thanks!

Well, if there is going to be a south trend with fantasy storms it almost always occurs with under-forecasted blocking. This one has a chance. All eyes should be focused on the confluence in the NE with future runs.

Well, if there is going to be a south trend with fantasy storms it almost always occurs with under-forecasted blocking. This one has a chance. All eyes should be focused on the confluence in the NE with future runs.
Definitely don't want to watch that allow the system to become a cutter. As mentioned, maybe this one could become something good since the pattern looks decent in that time frame, especially with the +PNA.

pattern mid month does look interesting to me.... big bowling ball ull just nilates western half of Tennessee on the 0zgfs last night... got ways to go still... interesting none the less

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back