• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern February Discussion Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
JB tweeted this: Rare high amplitude phase 8 MJO for Feb being forecasted only 3 times last 40 years.. 1999,1988,1978

Went back and did composites for Feb of each of those three years; 1999 was warm (the month before - Jan - was also very warm, if not a "torch"), 1998 was cool (preceding Jan was very cool), 1978 was cold (as was the preceding Jan) (won't hog up a page showing all those maps LOL). Point being that even a strong Ph8 MJO doesn't always have the right mojo

Thanks, Phil. I bolded what I think is an excellent point you made that can be applied to any single index. These indices are tools that work best when other tools (other indices) are used at the same time.

Further to what JB mentioned about high amp Feb phase 8, I'm going to repost some of the KATL temperature anomalies for these and other long stringed very high amp Feb phase 8 but I'll this time order them by strength instead of chronologically . 1988 was the strongest long stringed Feb high amp phase 8 followed by 1999, 2006, 1978 (there were actually two strings but the strongest one was the 4th strongest on record), and 2010:

1. 1988: 2/21-29. ATL averaged 1.4 colder than normal. No wintry precip.

2. 1999: 2/16-21. ATL averaged 0.8 warmer than normal. No wintry precip. Note that the MJO dropped to just outside the circle still in phase 8 just after this and got much colder with 0.4" of snow.

3. 2006: 2/4-9. ATL averaged 6.0 colder than normal & got a trace of snow.
Similarly to 1999, it then dropped to just outside the circle in phase 8 and got even colder with two days having a trace of snow.

4. 1978 two strings: 2/7-10 & 2/23-28. ATL quite cold with an average 8.7 colder than norm for the two strings combined. (Caveat: most of that winter was cold wherever was the MJO). They got two days with traces of snow.

5. 2010: 2/7-13. ATL was very cold with an average of 11.0 colder than normal along with a major snow (3.6") as well as a trace on another day! (Caveat: this was a very cold winter throughout regardless of where was the MJO thanks largely to historic levels of -AO/-NAO blocking.)

Thanks, Phil. I bolded what I think is an excellent point you made that can be applied to any single index. These indices are tools that work best when other tools (other indices) are used at the same time.

Further to what JB mentioned about high amp Feb phase 8, I'm going to repost some of the KATL temperature anomalies for these and other long stringed very high amp Feb phase 8 but I'll this time order them by strength instead of chronologically . 1988 was the strongest long stringed Feb high amp phase 8 followed by 1999, 2006, 1978 (there were actually two strings but the strongest one was the 3rd strongest on record), and 2010:

1. 1988: 2/21-29. ATL averaged 1.4 colder than normal. No wintry precip.

2. 1999: 2/16-21. ATL averaged 0.8 warmer than normal. No wintry precip. Note that the MJO dropped to just outside the circle still in phase 8 just after this and got much colder with 0.4" of snow.

3. 2006: 2/4-9. ATL averaged 6.0 colder than normal & got a trace of snow.
Similarly to 1999, it then dropped to just outside the circle in phase 8 and got even colder with two days having a trace of snow.

4. 1978 two strings: 2/7-10 & 2/23-28. ATL quite cold with an average 8.7 colder than norm for the two strings combined. (Caveat: most of that winter was cold wherever was the MJO). They got two days with traces of snow.

5. 2010: 2/7-13. ATL was very cold with an average of 11.0 colder than normal along with a major snow (3.6") as well as a trace on another day! (Caveat: this was a very cold winter throughout regardless of where was the MJO thanks largely to historic levels of -AO/-NAO blocking.)
Thanks!
Some folks can get too hung up on one index and not pay attention to or recognize the bigger picture (i.e., the entire set of dynamics, or as I said somewhere else here today - the grit in the gearbox).
But then ... I have some learnin' still to do, myself ... IMHO - and you're a good teacher - seriously!

Fortunately, it doesn't look as strong as the last event. Hopefully it doesn't go the way of severe weather again.

For the moment and largely out of uncertainty @ this range, yes, but even a very subtle change in the placement, juxtaposition, and intensity of these waves will make all the difference... Given the general background in place & the eery similarities to late January's setup, it may become probable that someone in the southern tier, from Texas, Oklahoma, & Texas all the way to the Carolinas, VA & FL experiences severe wx in some way, shape, or form out of this ~ February 18-22.

For the moment and largely out of uncertainty @ this range, yes, but even a very subtle change in the placement, juxtaposition, and intensity of these waves will make all the difference... Given the general background in place & the eery similarities to late January's setup, it may become probable that someone in the southern tier, from Texas, Oklahoma, & Texas all the way to the Carolinas, VA & FL experiences severe wx in some way, shape, or form out of this ~ February 18-22.
Does the cold and snowy pattern come after this!?

Despite the blocking that is perceived to be there, the 16/17 storm is trying to cut and at best is going to be an Apps Runner-Miller Bish like storm.

Gfs is totally different over the NE....than 12z

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
no surprise there given how we went from a southern system to a NYC Boston jackpot with the system late this week

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Well the NAO changed course happened suddenly.
more head scratchin'
nao_mrf.gif

nao_sprd2.gif

4indices.png

up or down?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back