• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern February Discussion part 3. Don's Winter Storm Hunt

cc8228d23fea4f1ace22831fc616b9d0.jpg

We just can't get out of our own way. But at least the overall pattern looks rainy

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
If there's one look on the maps you can take to the bank this winter, it's W trough, SE / E ridge ! And I never want to see that look again! Portland, you suck! :(

If there's one look on the maps you can take to the bank this winter, it's W trough, SE / E ridge ! And I never want to see that look again! Portland, you suck! :(
No kidding that Alaskan ridge is great if it's coupled with a western us ridge. Just the AK ridge makes it tough for the SE but is great for the northern half

I have a friend that lives in Portland . She has been sending me pics over the last two months . Looks like fun

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

At this pt I'm all in for spring

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking @ LR, it would appear today that we down here are going from Feb straight to May and skipping March and April (showing 85º within 10 - 14 days) ... :( ... but, well see

Maybe the Gulf Stream will shut down and we'll get decent winters again. There's a 50 percent chance according to the latest models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just from looking at the gif of H5 the pacific didn't look that great. Big -nao?

Yeah the pattern in general didn't look too great with an east-based -NAO & SCAND, a modest -EPO, and a ridge over the eastern US, but one shortwave slipped underneath the rest is history...
The winter of 1978-79 in general was cold in virtually the entire contiguous US, every climate division was near or below average, with the core of the coldest anomalies centered over the midwest. In fact, 1978-79 is the coldest winter on record in the US. When you're this cold, it doesn't matter as much what the short term synoptic setup looks like, almost anything w/ moisture will drop snow... One of the few times where we had that luxury...
Screen Shot 2017-02-18 at 11.26.20 AM.png
compday.Ag6NEiQp9y.gif
Screen Shot 2017-02-18 at 11.25.15 AM.png

Yeah the pattern in general didn't look too great with an east-based -NAO & SCAND, a modest -EPO, and a ridge over the eastern US, but one shortwave slipped underneath the rest is history...
The winter of 1978-79 in general was cold in virtually the entire contiguous US, every climate division was near or below average, with the core of the coldest anomalies centered over the midwest. In fact, 1978-79 is the coldest winter on record in the US. When you're this cold, it doesn't matter as much what the short term synoptic setup looks like, almost anything w/ moisture will drop snow... One of the few times where we had that luxury...
View attachment 194
View attachment 193
View attachment 192
the 78 79 winter sure was a very cold one... but best of my memory... winter 76-77 produced more snow for my area west tn... with extreme cold spells behind the systems that produced snow

cutter city but at least we get rain every few days . some places still need it
72e16d3639d93eef8431ba42425daf72.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Yup, the SER is back, if that's the case, winter is over. Bring on Hurricane season.

Back