• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern February Discussion part 3. Don's Winter Storm Hunt

Here in central Mississippi, I hear several lawn mowers blaring their ugly noise in the neighborhood. Lots of green lawns around.
It should be illegal to cut grass in February ! I've never done it and refuse to. I don't care how much the grass grows. March 1st is the earliest I will cut it.

Is it too early for a hurricane outlook thread? I thought there was a hurricane thread already, if there is, I'm not seeing it on tapatalk.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

In 2011-12 and 1879-80, ATL had 18 freezes through Feb. vs 15 so far this winter. Mar had 0 freezes.

However, in 1889-90, ATL had only 13 freezes through Feb & then had 10 in Mar. In 1931-2, ATL had only 8 freezes through Feb followed by 10 in Mar., which were all on consecutive days 3/6-15 and which incuded 3 snows along with one high of only 28!

In 2011-12 and 1879-80, ATL had 18 freezes through Feb. vs 15 so far this winter. Mar had 0 freezes.

However, in 1889-90, ATL had only 13 freezes through Feb & then had 10 in Mar. In 1931-2, ATL had only 8 freezes through Feb followed by 10 in Mar., which were all on consecutive days 3/6-15 and which incuded 3 snows along with one high of only 28!
and that was before Hartsfield - musta been real warm those cited years in 'Hotlanta other than March - good stats!

Could get wet in the SE

12_054_G1_north_america_zoomout_I_4_PAN_CLASSIC_0.jpg

There have been 6 long strings of days in strong phase 8 in Feb: 1978, 1988, 1999, 2006, 2010, & 2017. The three that peaked above 3.0 in amp were not cold. The 3 that peaked within 2-2.5 were all cold in the SE. Coincidence? I don't know. Thoughts anyone?

There have been 6 long strings of days in strong phase 8 in Feb: 1978, 1988, 1999, 2006, 2010, & 2017. The three that peaked above 3.0 in amp were not cold. The 3 that peaked within 2-2.5 were all cold in the SE. Coincidence? I don't know. Thoughts anyone?
This time of year, it seems that closer to the COD on the left is colder - no science here, just drawing from feeble memory...

So you mean to tell me that there were no long strings of days in strong Phase 8 in Feb before 1978 ?

So you mean to tell me that there were no long strings of days in strong Phase 8 in Feb before 1978 ?

Feb records started in 1975.

On another subject, the PNA is forecasted to go into solid negative for the 6-15 day period. It is of no coincidence that the models are unanimous in showing a cold NW US and a warm SE US, the typical response to a solid -PNA.

I recognize that the Euro is the best model out there, no matter what happened with one storm but I'm cheap, I could care less about paying to gain full access to it. I realize this likely isn't a good idea, especially since I'm not the greatest at reading 500/surface maps but am getting better, but I take after my dad who will be cheap with things.

I recognize that the Euro is the best model out there, no matter what happened with one storm but I'm cheap, I could care less about paying to gain full access to it. I realize this likely isn't a good idea, especially since I'm not the greatest at reading 500/surface maps but am getting better, but I take after my dad who will be cheap with things.
Since it busted along with every other global model with the January storm I'm not going to be too hard on it but yeah, it's generally the best medium range model. I sure have wasted a lot of money on it this lame winter though. Funny thing is, none of the models have even given us much fantasy snow this winter.

ecmwf_gfs_nh_f120.png

Back