• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern February Discussion part 3. Don's Winter Storm Hunt

Not true. We had a lot of damage from Opal in 95 and we had tornadoes in my area from Hurricane Katrina.
Opal was bad - I was on the AT near Neal Gap ... but all in all, I should have qualified, 'Cane season is no fun .... especially down here and along the entire Gulf coast.

This hurricane season could be slow if there will be a moderate to strong Nino. A weak Nino, hurricane season will be more active with canes that make landfall. I just hope that damn SER don't persist this summer. If it does, it's going to be miserable this summer.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

This hurricane season could be slow if there will be a moderate to strong Nino. A weak Nino, hurricane season will be more active with canes that make landfall. I just hope that damn SER don't persist this summer. If it does, it's going to be miserable this summer.

I don't see how in the world it could be as miserable as last summer

the 78 79 winter sure was a very cold one... but best of my memory... winter 76-77 produced more snow for my area west tn... with extreme cold spells behind the systems that produced snow

He's talking about contig US as a whole. In much of the SE, 1976-7 is the coldest on record. 1977-8 is second coldest. 1978-9 was a cold SE winter (Jan-Feb), but not nearly as cold as the prior two. Note that the 2nd coldest in contig US, 1935-6, was also quite cold in the SE.

1978-79 didn't look so cold in Central and South FL based on that map. Was there a persistent SE ridge that winter ?

Even without an El Nino, this hurricane season would struggle to be well above normal... Classic -AMO signature beginning to develop once again and the Atlantic Hadley Cell is still quite expansive (which likely contributed to abnormally high SAL of late and the hurricane seasons in the 2010s from really going nuts, esp 2010 (although it was quite active in its own right)). However, the low frequency warming of Atlantic SSTs should mitigate some of these other unfavorable parameters.
cdas-sflux_ssta_relative_global_1.png

If the SER does persist during 'cane season, this would mean the Bahamas and the east coast at a threat of 'canes. Some storms could even make their way into the GOM. I think Webber posted up SSTs anomalies in the Gulf and they are above normal. If that continues, this would mean that the Gulf basin will be busy this 'cane season. Everything depends on the SSTs out in the Pacific as well.

If the SER does persist during 'cane season, this would mean the Bahamas and the east coast at a threat of 'canes. Some storms could even make their way into the GOM. I think Webber posted up SSTs anomalies in the Gulf and they are above normal. If that continues, this would mean that the Gulf basin will be busy this 'cane season. Everything depends on the SSTs out in the Pacific as well.

Persistence of the SER actually doesn't always bode well wrt landfalls on the eastern seaboard, a ridge over southeastern Canada (like we observed last summer) does however....

Persistence of the SER actually doesn't always bode well wrt landfalls on the eastern seaboard, a ridge over southeastern Canada (like we observed last summer) does however....
True, it depends on the subtropical jet too, the jet can cause vertical shear which would mean less 'canes along the east and it would prevent storms in the Gulf basin.

Yep they get huge snows in march and even April up in Minnesota. My sister lives there and a lot of winters once the first snow falls you don't see bare ground until march or April.
Since you love snow so much, you should move to MN :)

Back