• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern February Discussion part 3. Don's Winter Storm Hunt

The 12z GEFS (the control run of the GEFS) has a winter event during the 26th-27th, not buying that yet cause the GFS OP and the EPS has that system cutting and also there is limited skill at that range. Next week, there could be a lot of fun around here model watching wise.

Edit: the indices show the EPO tanking and a -NAO during that time period. The GFS and GEFS are in agreement as of now on the MJO - weak phase 1 (someone send me the link to all of the models that are shown on the MJO).
and in addition to what SD sent
http://www.daculaweather.com/4_mjo_phase_forecast.php

The 12z GEFS (the control run of the GEFS) has a winter event during the 26th-27th, not buying that yet cause the GFS OP and the EPS has that system cutting and also there is limited skill at that range. Next week, there could be a lot of fun around here model watching wise.

Edit: the indices show the EPO tanking and a -NAO during that time period. The GFS and GEFS are in agreement as of now on the MJO - weak phase 1 (someone send me the link to all of the models that are shown on the MJO).
and - there are additional resources in the Model Thread and GaWx has posted info in the Blog and throughout the discussions ...
hope this helps ... ;)

ohh .. and bad me for forgetting ... search Webber - he has all sorts of MJO info in here ...

Respectfully - we do need to establish a "library" where Webb's, and GaWx's and others' research, and academia, and points, can be easily accessed by topic ... a digital Dewey Decimal System link of sorts, for the users.
Just an idea but may be worth it ...

Larry's stuff is on the blog....webbers stuff can be added as well if he gives us permission

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Respectfully - we do need to establish a "library" where Webb's, and GaWx's and others' research, and academia, and points, can be easily accessed by topic ... a digital Dewey Decimal System link of sorts, for the users.
Just an idea but may be worth it ...
That's a good idea, I'm learning more about the MJO. I'm pretty quick at catching onto the science behind weather.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

Larry's stuff is on the blog....webbers stuff can be added as well if he gives us permission

I know - maybe a bad suggestion, but just getting resources available to folks in a quick way ... but then, I'm a bit crazy :confused: (hopefully in a good way :D)

I know - maybe a bad suggestion, but just getting resources available to folks in a quick way ... but then, I'm a bit crazy :confused:
It's not a bad suggestion at all. It's something we can certainly work on. I just want to make sure that everyone consents to things being lifted from threads and posted that way before we do it

It's not a bad suggestion at all. It's something we can certainly work on. I just want to make sure that everyone consents to things being lifted from threads and posted that way before we do it

Then let's ask them - here's the question:
Can the Mods/Staff incorporate your material into a "library"?
How does someone say "Yes"? Maybe a tab to click? (Shawn will love that idea ... LOL)
And then who is the librarian? (SD will love that idea ... LMAO)
But seriously - having all of this wonderful info we're getting in a place that can be accessed in a reasonable format would be a coup .... ;)

Then let's ask them - here's the question:
Can the Mods/Staff incorporate your material into a "library"?
How does someone say "Yes"? Maybe a tab to click? (Shawn will love that idea ... LOL)
And then who is the librarian? (SD will love that idea ... LMAO)
But seriously - having all of this wonderful info we're getting in a place that can be accessed in a reasonable format would be a coup .... ;)

Do we need both a blog & a library? Maybe just one?

Last edited:
Do weed need both a blog & a library? Maybe just one?
Agree - Just tossing ideas - my thought was/is to categorize so that if someone wants MJO, or teleconnection, or STA, winter, 'Canes or any other categorized info, they can find it readily - the Blog is a library but without a hierarchical organization - which was/is my point. But this is beyond my right to opine .... :oops:

so shhhhhhh, phil

just picture perfect @ 500

Screen_Shot_2017_02_17_at_10_24_08_PM.png

Many could save trouble and just follow the EPS/Euro. Other models are wrong. If the Euro/EPS show a potential system, then game on.

I still think it's silly how people took my avatar change as a gimmick or troll. I meant it. It's over for Winter for most of the SE. Some places in TN/NC can see an event still, sure. Maybe a sleet or ice event to the South of those areas IF there is a nice cold hit into early-mid March.

Last edited:
cc8228d23fea4f1ace22831fc616b9d0.jpg

We just can't get out of our own way. But at least the overall pattern looks rainy

Yeah this is a great wintry pattern for the plains and midwest . They will be cashing big time

Yeah this is a great wintry pattern for the plains and midwest . They will be cashing big time
Yeah 2 winter storms back to back, come on tax money so I can chase, cause I'm not going to see anything here, lol.

Back