• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern February Discussion part 3. Don's Winter Storm Hunt

gfs_z500_vort_us_40.png

Well Temps definitely improved 12z run particular the 850 temps and a lil bit on surface... It was a improvement and 2 times on 25th and 27th period, I guess we wait for ensembles and future runs and see if something may sneak out for the SE by end of month?

Well it looks like my sister who lives in Minneapolis Minnesota is going to get buried in about 20 inches of snow next week. The rich get richer!
Maybe one day, I'll move far north and get the good snows. These winters down here are getting worse and worse. What happened to the classic winters here across the south?

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

Maybe one day, I'll move far north and get the good snows. These winters down here are getting worse and worse. What happened to the classic winters here across the south?

We just had a good winter 3 years ago (and some 2 years ago) so it's not like it's been forever since we've had a good winter.

Yep some day my wife and I want to move to the northeast. I absolutely love it when it's cold for some reason. Even if there's no snow I still prefer bone chilling cold vs hot and humid.

We just had a good winter 3 years ago (and some 2 years ago) so it's not like it's been forever since we've had a good winter.
True that, I wish it was a classic winter every winter, but unfortunately it's not going to be, cause things are always changing. Next winter, we better make up for this crap. I want a winter like 2013-'14 I think it was when the PV got locked in and we had back to back winter events. That winter was a good winter, and a classic one.

Regarding the system around the 27th, how close is that to becoming a good Winter Storm say around the Memphis area according to most recent run of GFS?

Hey Don,
Atlanta and many other areas just had classic old-fashioned solid winters in 2009-10, 2010-11, and 2013-4, each with a major winter storm. 3/1/2009 also saw a big snow. In 2014-5, some areas still got clocked by one Feb storm that was just a little north of ATL. Even ATL had a very cold Feb with a whopping 5 days with flurries! As you know, this winter did give ATL proper a moderate ice storm and gave a heavy snow to parts of TN and NC. ATL averaged 2.5" of SN/IP the last 9 winters, which is above the longterm average of 2.2".
So, it could be way worse!

Hey Don,
Atlanta and many other areas just had classic old-fashioned solid winters in 2009-10, 2010-11, and 2013-4, each with a major winter storm. 3/1/2009 also saw a big snow. In 2014-5, some areas still got clocked by one Feb storm that was just a little north of ATL. Even ATL had a very cold Feb with a whopping 5 days with flurries! As you know, this winter did give ATL proper a moderate ice storm and gave a heavy snow to parts of TN and NC. ATL averaged 2.5" of SN/IP the last 9 winters, which is above the longterm average of 2.2".
So, it could be way worse!
Yep, that's true too. Maybe next winter we'll be breaking the below normal temps instead of breaking above normal temps like we have been since fall.

I just noticed that we are back in drought conditions
Yep, moderate drought back my way! Gonna suck if the summer is half as dry as last!

I'll be having a video up later today discussing about the pattern for late this month into March.

Back