• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern February Discussion part 3. Don's Winter Storm Hunt

35? My forecasted low is only 39 tonight so you are doing really good. Unfortunately it looks like last night was my last night of below freezing temps for at least a week or more.
You might be in a good spot late in the month and the first of March

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

You might be in a good spot late in the month and the first of March

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
Hopefully I can pull off a march miracle! Tennessee actually gets quite a few early march snows. Not necessarily in my backyard every time but I can recall quite a few over the ten years I've lived here. Last one I had was 5 inches the first week of march back in 2015.

Edit: It was melted in 2 days but that's how it goes in march.

gfsp_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_49.png
active and cold

Reactions: IWC
6z GFS is very active and cold rolling into March.

Euro weeklies looked surprisingly good yesterday, didn't see anyone post about them

The second week of March looks the best, but during the first week of March the west coast trough rolls east due to a strong -EPO. A SE Ridge pops but it eventually gets beat down during the first week of March. Week 2 of march looks good starting around 3/6 onward. It's also really cold, with strongly neg anoms around Hudson Bay, the coldest air is on our side of the globe...that's good.

I've been fooled by the weeklies before and given how this winter has gone I'm very hesitant in predicting any kind of sustainable pattern, even for 10 days or so. Getting another -EPO pattern like early January that spawned the Jan storm isn't out of the question, but I doubt we see sustained cold and stormy, for obvious reasons. The early Jan storm had a -EPO with a SE ridge that many were worried about, but it wasn't strong and actually helped NC cash in on that storm...sometimes SE ridges are good as long as they aren't overwhelmingly strong and are centered in the Atlantic.

We will likely see the Euro get in range to this pattern in the next 3 days or so, and we'll see how it goes. Cautiously optimistic is the phrase!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just took at weeklies too, they look stormy with system's cutting more than anything. If that's the case, winter is over. But, I'm not letting my guard down for winter storms until late March.

I like how the weekly shows a storm system showing up during the 12th-13th or so cause that's when the blizzard of '93 occured. Not saying that it's going to be a blizzard again. Some of the most wild weather can occur in March so we'll see what happens.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

well ok then
bd85c4917af1d7676583ed130028e731.jpg

Here come the modoki screamers . The above looks way overdone to me .

#lolmodoki

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Anyone want to take the bet against JB having a cold and snowy E US winter next winter? I certainly would not. If you were going to take the bet against him going cold, what kind of payoff on a $1 bet would you require if you were to get it right?

Essentially what HM is saying here is that exceptionally large El Nino events like 2014-16, 1997-98, 1877-78, etc lead to such massive alterations in the seasonal-interannual climate, specifically the upward step-changes in global temperature, that they're often semi-permanent and their impacts will reverberate throughout the climate system for years after they're gone.

Essentially what HM is saying here is that exceptionally large El Nino events like 2014-16, 1997-98, 1877-78, etc lead to such massive alterations in the seasonal-interannual climate, specifically the upward step-changes in global temperature, that they're often semi-permanent and their impacts will reverberate throughout the climate system for years after they're gone.
We scored snow in the roaring, Godzilla Nino , in 15/16 winter, so I'll take it!

Back