• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern February 2024

@griteater you got anymore of them jet retractions? Seems like if we can back that thing off we'd be ok. Your fear about it getting over extended so far seems to be modeled long range.

View attachment 142838
Big +EAsiaMtnTorq event showing up on the models in the Jan 21-25 period, so yeah, combining that with strong El Nino (and maybe other stuff) gives us the big jet ext into early Feb. I think mid-Feb is a reasonable ballpark for seeing that retract and get wavy out west to potentially go along with another retrograding block. IMO western ridges are typically bolder / more forceful when the jet is in the process of extending or maintaining itself, instead of when it is in the process of retracting. But we'll see.

Last edited:
Big +EAsiaMtnTorq event showing up on the models in the Jan 21-25 period, so yeah, combining that with strong El Nino (and maybe other stuff) gives us the big jet ext into early Feb. I think mid-Feb is a reasonable ballpark for seeing that retract and get wavy out west to potentially go along with another retrograding block. IMO western ridges are typically bolder / more forceful with the jet is in the process of extending or maintaining itself, instead of when it is in the process of retracting. But we'll see.

We've somehow whittled our winter down to the last 7-10 days of Feb. I don't know whether to laugh or cry. ?‍♂️

I guess one positive is we have a Npac low in a semi-reasonable spot for back half of Feb.

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-nhemi-z500_anom_5day-6875200.png

The end of the 12z GFS showed bodacious cold in northern Canada - lots of sub -40 up there. One thing that has resonated this year is that the longer term models are much better than flipping a coin - think about all the pretty maps we've seen the last couple of months.
TW

We've somehow whittled our winter down to the last 7-10 days of Feb. I don't know whether to laugh or cry. ?‍♂️

I guess one positive is we have a Npac low in a semi-reasonable spot for back half of Feb.

View attachment 142845
Typically I would be willing to bet this look ends up with shorter wavelengths and more amplified warm/cold but then the 12z gfs says nah bro coast to coast ridge

Never fear! The Euro weeklies control says Marvelous March will save the winter for NC at least…
1709510400-sNcFeiB3rk8.png

This sucker is large and wound up…and not in a good way.

Going to take some work to weaken that trop PV. That’s a staple of winter death. ?

?
View attachment 142875
Not in that location and the EPS/GEPS are much less wound. The TPV in that location isn’t the worse thing and can help to set up CAD storms

This sucker is large and wound up…and not in a good way.

Going to take some work to weaken that trop PV. That’s a staple of winter death. ?

?
View attachment 142875
That's actually encouraging and especially on a 252 hr mean map.

There's above normal heights over the north pole as depicted in your photo. When we really get hosed is when tpv is spinning like a top right over the pole.

Back