• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern February 2024

Also those of us east of the apps that think it'll be a torch because of east coast ridging, go ahead and prepare yourself because we will find a way to CAD ourselves to death so there might be some upper 60's and low 70's days but they'll be a lot more mid 40's and clouds too.
Highly doubt there’s gonna be any wedges with 40F temps maybe low to mid 50s at the start of the warmer pattern when WAA begins, but Canada itself is about to roast. And anyways, the southeast ridge is extremely potent, I mean we’re talking 585-588 decameters over the Carolina’s, that’s upper echelon. There’s gonna be way more warmer days during that week then cooler days 8B171ECD-E5EA-41D7-BE8B-93E0E5C49721.png

Highly doubt there’s gonna be any wedges with 40F temps maybe low to mid 50s at the start of the warmer pattern when WAA begins, but Canada itself is about to roast. And anyways, the southeast ridge is extremely potent, I mean we’re talking 585-588 decameters over the Carolina’s, that’s upper echelon. There’s gonna be way more warmer days during that week then cooler days View attachment 142811
I'm not speaking of next week, I'm speaking into February. Next week is a torch without a doubt.

It may be awful. I have no clue what it'll do. It could be snow and cold or it could be a torch. My point is neither do models that we have routinely flip flop about every other day at this point. Point being, just sit back, relax, and wait. If we don't get anything then it's a 2 year drought and we have to wait until next year. If we do get snow, then yay. Either way it won't be because long range models say we are or we aren't.
I agree with ya man. I've never been much on anything past day 10. But you kinda roll with the mood of everyone else sometimes. It would great to make February great again. Hopefully this is the Winter we turn ole girl around.

06z GFS is wall to wall heat from about hr130 into the end of the run with not much relief in sight. Lots of mid 70’s into SC
The ensembles aren't as toasty, especially Eps and geps. I'm just in observing mode, looking for snow opportunity. We know January frozen precip chances are finished, outside some rogue novelty tomorrow morning. I have and will enjoy the cold this weekend.

The latest CFS and 300 hour+ ensembles tells me February is sitting on the fence ( as a whole) pattern wise. It will go one way or the other imo. Right now evidence, common sense is weighted toward lackluster pattern help. But we have no way of knowing for sure with high confidence for at least another week-10 days. We can still score in crap patterns, many ways, ULL etc.
But the notion of February ( Rubber band theory/ snapping into) a favorable pattern that gives a long duration window of opportunities to score is what I'm being judge and jury of. Just looking at the evidence via way of the models , TC's etc. as of today, the pendulum is tilted in the not so favorable direction.

6z Gefs says on Feb 3 we live on the wrong side of the Globe for cold

sfct-mean-met.nh.png

This will be different by 12z bc it’s out there but that’s an impressive stretch of 70’s modeled View attachment 142802
It's almost like it didn't get the memo it's El Nino it's supposed to be different this year. Not more of the same bs it's been doing since 2015.

Even JB is starting to waffle and get nervous about the long range now. Of course in regards to the models, they could all flip several times between now and first week of February but we need to remember persistence is the default once we get to late Jan/early Feb. I think this warm period will be longer than most thought it would be at the first of this month and may well run through Feb with the exception of a few short cool to cold periods of a few days

Looks like the over extension is going to happen in February per the ensembles. Without blocking it'll be tough to get any legit cold air. Doesn't mean we can't score, but it will take something perfectly timed up or maybe a rogue bowling ball low with marginal cold air.

I'm guessing we get another block around February 15th that syncs a cold push up with a storm for a board-wide hammer job while I'm on a cruise in the bahamas. A tale as old as time.

This is probably my biggest concern heading into Feb. Canada is about to get nukedView attachment 142812View attachment 142813
Here’s the thing though if you look at it, even with those warm anamolies, those are regions will still be soundly below freezing and not losing snowpack like we saw in December. Yes, after Monday we are going to be in a torch fest to round out the month and that’s something we’ve know for a bit… I highly doubt we see the extreme solution that the 6z GFS showed this morning as there will be plenty of clouds and rain . Once we get into early February, the pattern looks by no means slam dunk, but it’s also not guaranteed shut out either. There is still some things looking in our favor… the -NAO won’t be back for a bit, but the AO is headed back towards negative after spiking late next week, the PNA is looking to stay positive and whatever phase the MJO reaches, there is strong agreement that it becomes low amp/COD. Whether it’s in February or not until next year, it will snow again east of the Apps, so just enjoy whatever weather we have because it’s the only weather we got

According to that chart, we should be torching right now... Why not?
Because like some of us have said, the MJO is just one of a number of indicies. If you notice on the right side of the chart it gives an idea of the significance that the MJO plays by phase in different regions. Phase 5 and 6 don’t have a big impact on the SE unless it’s higher amped which is what we’ll see next week… as it becomes lower amped as it moves from phase 6 to 7 it has less of an impact. When I’ve been looking at the winter storms NC has had in phases 5-6 and there are some notable ones, they all occurred during a low amp MJO.

Let’s get real. Many of us have less than a month left realistically. Sure there are exceptions when it snowed in late Feb and March but that’s like a once in a decade type event for many of us.
Your right but when you wrote this,
Did you happen to think it's been a decade...
We are due.
Sadly like my Cowboys due means nothing in Football or Weather Worlds.
I'm not giving up till late March.
?‍♂️

Back