• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern February 2024

I keep hearing folks refer to CAD here. But with a strong low off the coast pulling down cold air, it seems to me this really isn’t a case of CAD. Sure “CAD” areas may be in the best area to get snow, but it really has nothing to do with CAD. There are plenty of times CAD areas get snow that have nothing to do with CAD. What am I missing?

TW

Looks like a bit of a split with the low locations.
1707058800-DqgzRC6GY5k.png

Yeah, it's still cold enough. Verbatim, just barely from my perspective a couple of hundred miles to your SW.

View attachment 143926
All model providers show temperature maps and dewpoint maps, but for winter, what we really need are wet-bulb temperature maps. I think College of Dupage has some, but I swear it seems like they were inaccurate when I last viewed them (not sure though)

All model providers show temperature maps and dewpoint maps, but for winter, what we really need are wet-bulb temperature maps. I think College of Dupage has some, but I swear it seems like they were inaccurate when I last viewed them (not sure though)
What’s the wet-bulb math? I guess I could Google it but is there an easier way to calculate on the fly?

Much more consensus with the lows in the gulf this run. This is taking away most of the members that had the precip stretched across the Tennessee valley. This at least delays some of the initial precip and have to depend on a strengthening gulf low instead of overrunning.
gfs-ensemble-all-avg-se-precip_24hr_inch-1706464800-1707102000-1707102000-40.gif

Much more consensus with the lows in the gulf this run. This is taking away most of the members that had the precip stretched across the Tennessee valley. This at least delays some of the initial precip and have to depend on a strengthening gulf low instead of overrunning.
gfs-ensemble-all-avg-se-precip_24hr_inch-1706464800-1707102000-1707102000-40.gif
Maybe it’s just me but I feel like I hate dealing with that typical frontal crap that hinders our cold air from sinking south. Give me a deepening low to pull that cold air in and vaccum that cold air southward

What’s the wet-bulb math? I guess I could Google it but is there an easier way to calculate on the fly?
Always heard take the difference between temp and dewpoint and divide by 3. Then subtract that from temp. So 38 degrees with a dew of 20 would be wet bulb of 32

Solid 50/50 low and a robust southern wave.. odds are pretty good this will trend toward a text book snowstorm for the SE.
Having read your insights for many years, first on American Wx and now here, this gets me as interested in the possibilities with this threat as anything else

Last edited:
I keep hearing folks refer to CAD here. But with a strong low off the coast pulling down cold air, it seems to me this really isn’t a case of CAD. Sure “CAD” areas may be in the best area to get snow, but it really has nothing to do with CAD. There are plenty of times CAD areas get snow that have nothing to do with CAD. What am I missing?

TW
You can see from the H5 set up that the strongest cold push is going down the east side of the mountains in a CAD fashion before the storm even arrives. The flow around the storm helps to lock in the CAD and pull more cold air in.

Right now supression is on the table if we dont get phasing or less supressive 50/50 low. Very volatile setup.

Sent from my SM-A236U using Tapatalk
The thing is that even if we never actually see a phase or if it’s just a bit later, I still think this has a very good chance to trend further north in the Gulf. Like Webb and others have pointed out, we’re dealing with southern stream energy in a very strong STJ. A great example would be the Christmas 2010 storm. The phase didn’t occurs until later as it fired up the low off the coast on Christmas night, but before that during the day, the southern stream wave that fed into the low trended considerably north in the last 24 hours and set up an overrunning event for northern Alabama, northern GA, Tennessee and western NC/SC.

Back