• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern February 2024

Precip fields and amounts are a bit much at this range. Models still trying to tie down the track. We have a storm though so that's good.
I agree. Also I would say that the last thing anyone in the Carolinas needs to be worried about right is it being too suppressed. That’s a very strong and active STJ and I would fully expect that even with a stronger push from the northern stream, there will certainly be some NW trends in the last several days.

Interesting tweet from DT. I definitely don’t think the mid-Atlantic is out, but I’m not sure this is going to have a Tennessee valley low.

⬅️WORKING HYPOTHESIS so if we accept the idea that the northern Jet Stream is overdone then the southern LOW is not along the Gulf Coast on FEB 4-5 . It will be back in the Tennessee Valley and the big snowstorm threat is still alive. ◀️
Here’s the thing… if he’s correct then this will be a much different looking storm that could still work for the western/central NC and SC upstate. It would be a Miller B storm with a transfer to off the SC coast because I do think that strong CAD is going to be there.

12z Spire shows the factor that we need to get right more than anything else IMO...that is, cold air that doesn't move south quick enough. The amplifying central Canada ridge and 50/50 low dropping south need do their thing and get the cold air in early

View attachment 143913
It was reallly close to being amazing though haha.
spire-forecast-basic-namer-z500_norm_anom-1706443200-1707091200-1707177600-40.gif

spire-forecast-basic-namer-t850-1706443200-1707091200-1707177600-40.gif

Low still in the gulf
1707091200-YQHIW5KjbDQ.png

IMG_8062.jpeg
Essentially what you want for this system to work is for the center of the energy to somewhere in that blue circle. Right now it’s just too far south for anything to happen. The track of the system should move somewhat SE because of the Canadian Ridge overtop and suppressive NE energy not allowing it to move North. Keep that energy in the NE in that same spot.

Back