• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern February 2024

Agreed. All it would take -- which is more likely than not IMO -- would be for northern stream energy to come in stronger than modeled (which is very common in this configuration at this lead time dealing with northern stream energy from sparsely monitored regions of Canada) to blow this thing up.
ecmwf-ensemble-avg-namer-vort500_z500-1706443200-1707091200-1707091200-40.gif

Yeah I’ll take my chances w this IMG_6417.gif
When it really blows up off the Carolina coast it yanks that cold air down the east side of the mountains. I’d venture to say we’d want to get this thing ramped up and going a bit sooner than the euro showed this afternoon?IMG_6415.jpeg

Looking past our storm chance, pretty nice sequence here on the Weeklies from Feb 11 to Feb 23. Enlarging low latitude Aleutian Low anomalies lead to southern stream running underneath amplifying Western North America ridging. Would like to see more low pressure off the NE coast, but pretty nice overall. Coldest anomalies in the N Hemisphere located in the eastern 1/2 of the U.S. Feb 14-21 (2nd image)

Jan 28 Euro Wk 500.gif

Jan 28  Euro Wk 850.png

Yeah I’ll take my chances w this View attachment 143907
When it really blows up off the Carolina coast it yanks that cold air down the east side of the mountains. I’d venture to say we’d want to get this thing ramped up and going a bit sooner than the euro showed this afternoon?View attachment 143908
A little bit sooner wouldn’t hurt, but even still the EURO has a 996mb low just off SAV that deepens to 992 just off CHS six hours later and moves NE from there. Precip never gets north of HWY 9 in SC or west of HWY 17 in NC, and I simply don’t buy that. A deepening low taking that track should have a precip field at least back to the NC Foothills and SC upstate

A little bit sooner wouldn’t hurt, but even still the EURO has a 996mb low just off SAV that deepens to 992 just off CHS six hours later and moves NE from there. Precip never gets north of HWY 9 in SC or west of HWY 17 in NC, and I simply don’t buy that. A deepening low taking that track should have a precip field at least back to the NC Foothills and SC upstate
I thought the Euro was known for underdoing how far the precip expands in these kind of setups.

I thought the Euro was known for underdoing how far the precip expands in these kind of setups.
Just off memory it’s definitely done that at least a few times I can remember. In the 1/3/2018 storm, it never brought moisture back west of I-95 until within 12 hours of the storm. Then the 1/21-22/2022 storm it was the last model to bring snow back into the Piedmont and Foothills

Interesting tweet from DT. I definitely don’t think the mid-Atlantic is out, but I’m not sure this is going to have a Tennessee valley low.

⬅️WORKING HYPOTHESIS so if we accept the idea that the northern Jet Stream is overdone then the southern LOW is not along the Gulf Coast on FEB 4-5 . It will be back in the Tennessee Valley and the big snowstorm threat is still alive. ◀️

Back