• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern February 2024

Greenland / Davis Strait ridges are nice, but nothing can block up and slow down the flow across the CONUS like a slow-moving low over the Northeast / off the NE Coast.

View attachment 143343
Absolutely beautiful progression right there. Interested to see if the EPS continues or picks up more in the signal. Had some hits last night for this period

I hate to make this comparison, but it's almost the exact same wave orientation. Just pull the low into SE Canada and let the wave develop.
View attachment 143336
View attachment 143338
The one big difference I see is the big block over Greenland in 2004, with the weaker one in Central Canada. It allows for a slower lift-out of the 50/50 off the NE coast and the trajectories out of Canada are more favorable. I would guess that the air to the north would be chillier too, but without the maps, it would just be a guess. Anyway, it's remarkably similar, other than that. Here's a map of that event, from the NWS in Raleigh:

accum.20040227.gif

Still a weak signal on the EPS like last run, but making strides at H5, digging the Atlantic Canada trough more, raising heights over the Great Lakes and Canada and loosing the subtropical ridge influence, and the shortwave looking much improved. Plenty of time here to turn this into something or trend worse. Normally in my experience CAD winter storms like to show up between day 7-10, this is barely entering day 10 642E1DF0-D1E1-498B-8DDF-C85114194D20.gif8B465128-492C-4770-B092-0FCFCF71458E.png

Hopefully by the 15-20th the cold can finally push east. It’s getting there. Should give us a solid 10 day window to see snow. ?

View attachment 143354
Hopefully we have multiple chances between early Feb to mid-Mar, but who knows. 1 chance would be a start for us east of the Apps. But yeah, the weeklies try to move things into a better pattern by kicking that SW trough east while building an AK ridge. We actually need some renewed momentum in the Pac Jet to do that because the initial big jet extension coming in a few days dies out.

Just looking at the surface anomaly charts here on the weeklies from Feb 3 to 23, it is showing low pressure in EAsia being replaced with high pressure (+EAMT), and shortly thereafter, the Pac Jet extends and the Aleutian Low swells and moves east...then the southern stream across the CONUS becomes active again. Long way out of course, but that Feb 17-23 timeframe has the best look at the moment IMO.

Jan 25 EPS Wk Sfc.gif

Jan 25 Euro Wk Jan 21.png

Back