• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern February 2024

If you are into the stratosphere stuff, Judah Cohen had a good post yesterday. Excerpt below.

Source: https://www.aer.com/science-research/climate-weather/arctic-oscillation/ (See "Impacts" section)

"...As I discussed back in November, Canadian warmings overwhelmingly transition to just two other PV phases - one is a larger sudden stratospheric warming but most commonly to a stretched PV. A Canadian warming can transition to other PV states (in the strong PV category) but it is significantly less likely. I don’t see another SSW anytime soon but the threshold for a stretched PV is much lower. I think in the time frame of the second week of February and even possibly mid-February a stretched PV is becoming more likely. This should help end the very mild pattern in place across North America. The intensity and duration of cold weather associated with the stretched PV is yet to be determined.

I want to end with one wild card. As usual I show the latest polar cap geopotential height anomalies (PCHs) plot in Figure 11, but occasionally I have also included the North Atlantic regional version of the plot, with the most recent in Figure iv. In Figure 11 one cannot observe the typical “drip” of warm/positive PCHs from the stratosphere to the troposphere often on a timescale of two weeks. Instead, the warm/positive PCHs in the stratosphere associated with last week’s major warming come to an abrupt end and independently warm/positive PCHs appear or emerge in the troposphere in early February. But looking at the North Atlantic regional PCHs (below) a different understanding is suggested. Warm/positive PCHs in the mid to upper stratosphere associated with last week’s major warming first “drip” or descend into the mid to lower stratosphere this week. This first leg down can be seen in Figure 13b with the polar stratospheric warming centered over Greenland. Then “drip” further into the troposphere in early February. Since this is only the North Atlantic regional plot, it is strongly suggestive of the return of Greenland blocking, though for now I don’t see much evidence of this in the weather model forecasts."

Jan 25 GEFS NAM.png

Still the CMC is rather mid because it brings energy right back to the GLs afterwards 344A5987-A752-4B9A-99C7-097C71250C80.png
Here’s the 4 run trend from the GFS… there is no trend, we either settle with a pacific origin wave that cuts off ots and we get WAA back in quicker and a ridge more rooted to the subtropics, or we inject a TPV ext into it, bring the can ridge more poleward and undercut quicker 0C62C4D5-4510-4326-9144-BA46BF040A80.gif

Yea, the verdict is still out on this timeframe. Seems like every piece is on a knife's edge from going one way or the other.

The 12z Icon looked great and hopefully the Euro has a similar look.

It's looking increasing likely we will get the mega wedge with a high pressure possibly rooted all the way in Northern Canada and knifing it's way through our area. I've seen those type CAD events overperform before on a few occasions. Problem is it won't matter if there no cold available. A piece of the TPV has to drop down and provide some cold dry air to tap in to for us to get wintery.

You can see at 500mb the ridge going up through AK and the Aleutian Low establishing itself. The SW trough is in the process of pinching off and will allow the core of the cold to drop in farther east:

gfs_z500_mslp_namer_65.png

The 850s showing up in western Canada are cold. This is probably underdone, given the height of the ridge going up.

gfs_T850a_namer_65.png

You can see at 250 mb the howling jet across the south and the split flow out in the Pacific....kind of an Omega block look:

gfs_uv250_namer_65.png

It shows up really well on the 2 PVU pressure map too:

gfs_DTpres_namer_65.png

Add in the strat warm and it's impact on the NAO that the models aren't even picking up on yet, and by Valentine's day, we're going to be rocking. I'm thinking a major winter storm for the SE around 2/18. Let's go!!

You can see at 500mb the ridge going up through AK and the Aleutian Low establishing itself. The SW trough is in the process of pinching off and will allow the core of the cold to drop in farther east:

View attachment 143321

The 850s showing up in western Canada are cold. This is probably underdone, given the height of the ridge going up.

View attachment 143322

You can see at 250 mb the howling jet across the south and the split flow out in the Pacific....kind of an Omega block look:

View attachment 143323

View attachment 143324

Add in the strat warm and it's impact on the NAO that the models aren't even picking up on yet, and by Valentine's day, we're going to be rocking. I'm thinking a major winter storm for the SE around 2/18. Let's go!!
If he’s in I’m in. Let’s do this.

View attachment 143321

View attachment 143322

View attachment 143323

View attachment 143324

This is the most impressive analysis of 384 hr output I've ever seen. I can't think of even a single thing that could derail this ;)

Back