• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern February 2024

Sure looks more east this time around to me. Wish we could get something to come up under that quick pattern on 1/31-2/1
If it’s quick i wouldn’t really call it a “Pattern” Webb mentioned a true pattern should happen in February and it would have some staying power to it.

I'm sure we'll get cold again in February after the warm up this week. I just don't think we'll have any precip to go along with it when it's cold enough for snow. It's been the same thing the last few winters. Cold and dry, warms up and rains, drys out in time for it to get cold again. Until that doesn't happen I don't see any reason to believe it's going to be any different in regards to snow chances in NC outside the mountains, and especially for the Triangle and east.

I'm sure we'll get cold again in February after the warm up this week. I just don't think we'll have any precip to go along with it when it's cold enough for snow. It's been the same thing the last few winters. Cold and dry, warms up and rains, drys out in time for it to get cold again. Until that doesn't happen I don't see any reason to believe it's going to be any different in regards to snow chances in NC outside the mountains, and especially for the Triangle and east.
Woah woah woah Brick. We are rockin with positive vibes today kind sir. Please get that mess outta here.

Cold air is dry and warm air is moist. It’s basic stuff here and nothing that is any different from the past. Thats how it is and always will be.. you need mechanisms to drive moisture into cold air. Energy didn’t dig like it needed to these last few storms so we got no precip. But to simply say when it’s cold it’s dry and that’s how it is nowadays is just silly and adds nothing to the conversation. Making a claim like that without any reasoning is pointless.

Thanks man I really appreciate it. I think this spring/summer I know what I need to do ?
My only reason for posting this is to give you some assurance,
We all need that push from time to time.
This is your calling.
There's others here too,
That I feel have a true calling to be in a meteorology career.
In some fashion.
There's at least 10-15 ppl when reading these models that I pay close attention too.
Your one of the top.
Along with fill in the name.
We all know who they are...

Last edited:
Cold air is dry and warm air is moist. It’s basic stuff here and nothing that is any different from the past. Thats how it is and always will be.. you need mechanisms to drive moisture into cold air. Energy didn’t dig like it needed to these last few storms so we got no precip. But to simply say when it’s cold it’s dry and that’s how it is nowadays is just silly and adds nothing to the conversation. Making a claim like that without any reasoning is pointless.
The reasoning is that's how it's been the past three years, so no reason to think it's going to be any different until it actually does something different.

That's a super strong wedge signal for such a long lead time on the CMCE. Seems like February 5-15 should be a great time to score a winter storm east of the apps. I've personally always been a fan of a warm Canada. The -30C arctic cold dropping down in to the great plains from Southern Canada rarely works out for us now.

Screen Shot 2024-01-22 at 4.13.49 PM.png

Last edited:
That's a super strong wedge signal for such a long lead time on the CMCE. Seems like February 5-15 should be a great time to score a winter storm east of the apps. I've personally always been a fan of a warm Canada. The -30C arctic cold dropping down in to the great plains from Southern Canada rarely works out for us now.

View attachment 143138
It is that way now it seems. Broad troughs that reach way south seem more and more a thing of the past.

Back