• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern February 2024

We always want to blame TC interference when we don’t get the MJO chart we want. If that’s the case then we should get a wild swing in extended modeling.
I meannnn 5169E742-9BC6-4D99-834A-EF71A82B0548.pngC11DE45F-99DD-4688-8EDD-65DD44157867.pngB99ABB8F-CD8D-447B-8D72-6D4FFDEB0CD0.png8768A83A-A366-4255-ACAF-82FFA4FD331F.jpeg
By the time we get that look wrt main rising over the whem, it’s towards the latter half of the respective ens runs, so something at H5 wouldnt verbatim show up yet

2005 is an analog to what globals are spitting out for first week of Feb. We don't talk about 2005 nino much...for good reason.

Similar MJO pass...fooled around in 6-7 for much of month.

gfs-ensemble-all-avg-nhemi-z500_anom-6961600.pngcompday.wbuyqe56Fb.gif

I'm personally skeptical of the big torch pattern in early Feb for much of the SE US (esp Carolinas).

Sure it looks generally mild overall, but I've seen so many long range warm patterns like this turn into cloudy, chilly CADs. This is a very conspicuous pattern here w/ a trough lurking near Atlantic Canada & the Pacific jet extending and undercutting a progressive block over south-central Canada. That's usually how you get sneaky CADs to show up in the medium range in Nino winters.

Unlike the late January warm pattern, the ridge in early February is not rooted in the subtropics, which means you're prone to undercutting it w/ sneaky southern stream waves. Notice on the GEFS mean the 500mb ridge is nosing up from the Bahamas in late January, whereas in early February, it's squashed into S America.

gfs-ensemble-all-avg-namer-z500_anom_1day-6896800.png

gfs-ensemble-all-avg-namer-z500_anom_1day-6227200.png

I'm personally skeptical of the big torch pattern in early Feb for much of the SE US (esp Carolinas).

Sure it looks generally mild overall, but I've seen so many long range warm patterns like this turn into cloudy, chilly CADs. This is a very conspicuous pattern here w/ a trough lurking near Atlantic Canada & the Pacific jet extending and undercutting a progressive block over south-central Canada. That's usually how you get sneaky CADs to show up in the medium range in Nino winters.

Unlike the late January warm pattern, the ridge in early February is not rooted in the subtropics, which means you're prone to undercutting it w/ sneaky southern stream waves. Notice on the GEFS mean the 500mb ridge is nosing up from the Bahamas in late January, whereas in early February, it's squashed into S America.

View attachment 143036

View attachment 143037
Are you saying CAD with respect to possible getting sneaky winter events or saying CAD in that we won t be highs in the 60-70’s?

View attachment 143036

View attachment 143037
60BAA3D5-683C-4999-AB5A-BA0AAABDCBBB.gif

Back