• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry February 19-21, 2020 Winter Storm

Looks like most folks area-wide either verified the low end of my forecast map or busted low, I think air temps being in the middle 30s, just above freezing coupled w/ warm ground temps and dendrites that weren't efficient at accumulating to begin with caused most of the issues wrt snow accumulations. I'm very curious to hear about what everyone received in their backyards when the final flakes fell.

I measured the accumulation on a block of ice I set outside yesterday upon the first flakes - That should all but destroy the ground temps theory. the dendrites were never larger than a small peanut. We simply just didnt get the fat flakes + enough qpf.

Looks like most folks area-wide either verified the low end of my forecast map or busted low, I think air temps being in the middle 30s, just above freezing coupled w/ warm ground temps and dendrites that weren't efficient at accumulating to begin with caused most of the issues wrt snow accumulations. I'm very curious to hear about what everyone received in their backyards when the final flakes fell.

Highest I measured was just under 4 inches but the compaction was pretty evident. My guess is at least 5 fell overall. It hit my litmus test though.....no grass showing

I just took a half dozen measurements, several locations in the yard, car top and deck everyone was 4.5 and car top just under 5. I was a little surprised, those tiny flakes kept piling up.

And just for any of you Missouri folk
7aefc49696b70e39ee9376d827f20b75.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

What a crazy week. From signals to the major globals abandoning ship. To the entry, exit and re-entry and exit again of the dreaded warm nose (shudders). To the weenie maps and the freak outs when 1 run of 1 op model drops the storm. The lead up to the storm is sometimes 80% of the fun. This community sure is great. The over analyzations and constant opinions is what makes weather so exciting.

Congrats to everyone who saw snow. It was only two weeks ago when a lot of us thought we would shoot a blank this winter.

On to Spring, or on to the next signal? See you all on the next thread.

Godspeed and good day!

-Pack Backer

Right about 2", maybe a tad below that. Ground temps actually we're an issue for me. Anywhere where the grass was thin and bare soil exposed, there is no snow.

Oh, and those little flakes sure did stick to the trees nicely.

Back