• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry February 19-21, 2020 Winter Storm

one key aspect of that would be how intense the front precip is. The “surprise” event a few days ago had extremely heavy front edge precip that tore through the dry air. That is one reason a lot of areas saw snow when models didn’t show it.
That hrrr image looks to have pretty impressive rates right at the get-go. That could aid in the wet bulb early on.

I really hope that will be the case for this event. I mean, if that sleet is extending to CAE, Charlotte should remain all snow. I still have my doubts, I don't want to get too excited. But I like this look. I really like where a lot of us sit.

Is this a quote from Blacksburg or are you just trolling?
Blacksburg is not Impressed it seems in my area! lol

THURSDAY...Cloudy. A slight chance of rain and snow in the
morning, then a chance of rain in the afternoon. Little or no
snow accumulation. Cooler with highs in the upper 30s. Light and
variable winds. Chance of precipitation 40 percent.
.THURSDAY NIGHT...Cloudy in the evening, then clearing. A chance
of rain in the evening. A chance of snow. Little or no snow
accumulation. Cooler with lows in the lower 20s. North winds
around 10 mph. Chance of precipitation 40 percent.

If we can get those heavier returns, maybe we can overcome that warm nose and get some decent rates before any mixing would occur. I don't know how likely that is, but this image does make me happy.
If we can beat back the warm nose with rates for only a short time I think eventually cold air will continue to filter in and make it easier for the snow to stay all snow ... good signs regardless tonight wrt the warm nose

Definitely something to pay attention to. Looks to me that the warm nose is not as impressive as on the NAM. Real question is whether the graupel starts first then goes to snow or the other way around.
either way, it is white and frozen ... a beggar's banquet ... ❄

If we can beat back the warm nose with rates for only a short time I think eventually cold air will continue to filter in and make it easier for the snow to stay all snow ... good signs regardless tonight wrt the warm nose

I agree! I am cautiously optimistic about this system. I hope both Charlotte and Raleigh can score. We have been the dividing line, with pretty much every storm. Rooting for you guys in the Triangle!

Well the professor up at Appalachian State sounds bitter. Ray told everyone he won’t be going higher than a dusting to 1” because of “how this winter has gone”. Goes on to say to keep your expectations low so you won’t be disappointed. If you don’t believe me go read his forecast for Boone. Seems a bit foolish without a science reasoning to let the public think for themselves. I guess he has no care for student safety.

I wanted to put this in here since it was already posted in the Whamby thread, but the ARPEGE made a huge shift from a Euroish solution to a big dog NAMish solution today. I don’t think this model is particularly good, but it’s good to see another model fall in line, IMO.

Our French friend has ticked north today

View attachment 35359View attachment 35360

Well the professor up at Appalachian State sounds bitter. Ray told everyone he won’t be going higher than a dusting to 1” because of “how this winter has gone”. Goes on to say to keep your expectations low so you won’t be disappointed. If you don’t believe me go read his forecast for Boone. Seems a bit foolish without a science reasoning to let the public think for themselves. I guess he has no care for student safety.

He might be right for the far northern mountains.

I might be too bullish with this forecast, but someone had to give it a shot over these conservative local mets. Posting this onto my Facebook page for family and friends was terrifying.

EDIT: I decided to drop 6-8" zone in eastern NC for now with my social media posts.

preliminary_snowfall_forecast_southernwx.jpg

Last edited:
So, on one hand with varying Big Dogs we have the NAM/GFS/ICON/GGEM/ARPEGE/NAVGEM/RAP/WRF and on the other side we have the suppressed Euro and UKMET. The UKMET does typically have a suppression bias, IIRC. I do hope the Euro folds tonight, but most of the modeling is on the side of a big storm in some form or fashion now.

Just caught the latest forecast from Van Denton. Their in-house model updated right before he showed it, and it now has the snow shield making it up to the Triad. He said it had been one of the last hold-outs for showing no snow here. Definitely gave the impression that he’ll be upping his official forecast of 1”. The trends seem to be lining up for us this time hopefully!

This is how you get close enough to smell the rain but have mashed potatoes fallingView attachment 35376
How many times have we seen overrunning precip come in earlier and heavier?! That is some insane lift l, hope you get crushed

Back