• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry February 19-21, 2020 Winter Storm

14 members now are getting north Georgia back in play. Slowly but surely. Reminds me of last weekend when we were only supposed to get a dusting the up to the night before the event and we got a little over 3 inches in Cherokee county Georgia.

Was just thinking about that. We didn't get much here in Marietta but I drove up 575 to Canton to see the snow.

The models trended colder and juicier as we got within 72 hours. If that happens with this system, it could be pretty impactful. Different from last weekend bc 1) that was a weekend and 2) this one has more precip.

20c4663f61209cffc99b33169bc02500.jpg

Eastern NC north eastern South Carolina this is trending into a winter storm. Plenty of moisture available when the cold air gets there

NE ga upstate sc mountains nc snow may fall but likely a glacé and blow. Perhaps a dusting to a couple inches in high elevations.

c63ad1c899cb9d6af2f132d3279086b4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This setup is when it pays to be in Union County. We normally are in the screw zone. But I really hope we can pull a rabbit out of the hat, and all score something. We deserve it! ?

Last edited:
Looks like the cold push might not be as good extrapolated, though. Idk

Looks like the cold push might not be as good extrapolated, though. Idk

You're 100% right and that also goes for 850s. But up in NC it is still cold enough and the heavier qpf is resulting in more snow.
We'll have to see from Ollie or whomever posts where the under 0.5" amounts are located.

It has to be a bad sign if the op models are showing nothing right? Seems like we are close enough to follow them.

It's still a good idea to follow ensemble members at this range. Operational runs can lag a bit before the "trend" begins in the 36-72 hours.

Edit. Operationals are important, but looking at the 500mb maps of the euro ensemble mean, there's something in the southern stream that pokes out that can be quite a forecast challenge. ;)

So speaking to my upstate sc folks. And maybe NE Georgia to. We can keep watching this sure. But I believe we seen enough. This is going to be mostly rain can’t rule out token flakes but this will not be a winter storm for us. As for Eastern NC and NE Sc a winter storm is possible and I’m hoping people that hadn’t had snow in a while gets some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back