• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Feb 17-19 Smastsmasher Snow/Ice

10" in Del Rio, TX. They are lower in elevation than Atlanta and at the same latitude as Daytona Beach ! Someone remind me again how Atlanta has not had 6" in 38 years ?
We have explained this 3000000000000000000000000000000 times please STOPPPPPPPPP .

ITS WEATHER . I’m sure that Texan place sucks at snowfall too .

Maybe one of these days Atlanta's relatively high elevation will benefit them. I just find it incredible that a city over 1,000' has such a hard time getting a decent snowfall.
The elevation is not enough to override the fact that transfers rob them of many good storms. It sucks that they are in a bad spot when storms round the corner but it is what it is. I'm just glad I live NW of town so I've had a good 10+ year run after the good times I grew up with in the 80s and early 90s. Sure there are a few like 1973 and 2002 where the south side scores but more often than not I-20 or Marietta is the dividing line between the haves and have nots.

The elevation is not enough to override the fact that transfers rob them of many good storms. It sucks that they are in a bad spot when storms round the corner but it is what it is. I'm just glad I live NW of town so I've had a good 10+ year run after the good times I grew up with in the 80s and early 90s. Sure there are a few like 1973 and 2002 where the south side scores but more often than not I-20 or Marietta is the dividing line between the haves and have nots.
i think March 09 was also painful for your area.

I find it slightly concerning its 33 degrees and the trees still have ice on them while the ground layer stuff melted... we still don’t need the build up in trees

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing earlier too. I think the stuff in the trees may have finally melted off at least what I can see from the office building. That was concerning me about overnight when it drops back down again.

This. Also, wasn’t Nashville in a long bigger snow drought for a while? This area doesn’t benefit from the coastals, we have to have a major overrunning like in 2017 to get bigger totals. Just like @GaWx said, we are always dealing with warm noses.

One thing of note geographically, you mention the I-20/85 Marietta demarcation point, which is true. There is a higher ridge that extends from the Carrollton area on up connecting to the bottom of the blue ridge mountains in Pickens county. The December 2017 storm is the perfect example of how it can affect who gets snow and who doesn’t. The rain snow line was right at 1100’ at that demarcation point, of course it was lower in the valley where you were.

Capture0218.PNG
RAH has lifted Warnings for Triad and east and replaced w/ Advisories ( Warnings still up for border counties). Wake & Franklin still under Advisory. (but you can't see it cause it's overlayed with the ugly green FFWs)

GSP lifted everything in their area, while Blacksburg still has some advisories/warnings for VA/NC

That's a lot of light green down rivers in the east..

Here's my preliminary ice accumulation map for this event. Expecting the totals near the VA border in the northern piedmont to come up a little bit after tonight's additional glaze which is why I set the date to tomorrow.

Thanks for all the reports everyone, it helped a lot.

View attachment 76238
so strange seeing some of the foothills not get nothing, that’s where I busted terribly

Okay tonight is starting to look a little sneaky... RAP and HRRR have areas even into wake county getting in on the ice again ... basically if u saw ice this morning it looks like cold air will sink right back into place... maybe another quarter of an inch for places by NC/VA border ... maybe another .05 Charlie Brown tree topper event for me

32.0/28.9. Not much melting today.
View attachment 76252
Same here west of Winston.
I still had some seriously leaning trees as of sundown.

Sitting at 33.0/32 and radar shows round 2 rolling in.
I really hope it stays rain and is warm enough to melt and not accrete more ice.

We were really on the edge of some serious problems with what we got last night and this morning.
From what I could see, we had around 0.2" by mid-day.
Parents lost power on the NW side of Winston early morning; but it was back up by noon.
We didn't lose power, thankfully.

ETA: Measured 0.38" through the bucket today.

Yessir. I was five miles too far west.

Heartbreaker there!

I have enjoyed the 4 winters I have spent in Ellijay, though this one ranks #3 of the 4. Multiple dinks and dunks this year, just nothing major. A white Christmas was nice. It's strange, our early season snows have been some of the very best.

December 9th, 2017
1613697009730.png

Same storm...

1613697089451.png

I looked at melted liquid in my old school gage and was surprised it was close to .8 I don't know what I don't know abut over night but but it did not seem like we had a lot of sleet when I woke up. Had a sleet storm for about an hour the heavy rain until it ended. I guess the combo of sleet and warm rain kept ice to a minimum. .15, maybe. I have power and water so I am good with it!

Now drizzle at 32. so many marginal events this year. Pretty weird!

31.6 here in Colfax with rain shower moving through. I can't find any indication of anything freezing at ground level, but I suspect there's some freezing going on up in the canopy.
TW

Back