• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Feb 11-13 2021 Ice Potential

The February 1994 Ice Storm was a rain to freezing rain/sleet set up that did become major for the Piedmont. Temperatures were in the low to mid 40s when rain started

I'm probably not in this one but if it is another Feb 94 storm I'll happily pass. 96, 2000, 2002, and 2005 all had big ice storms in my area but 94 blew them all away. That was a big dog I'll let lie somewhere else.

I'm probably not in this one but if it is another Feb 94 storm I'll happily pass. 96, 2000, 2002, and 2005 all had big ice storms in my area but 94 blew them all away. That was a big dog I'll let lie somewhere else.
For me February 2000 and December 2002 were the worst. The 2/2000 came just a few days after the Crusher so many tree limbs around my place had been weakened from the heavy wet snow. 12/2002 came early enough in the season that there was still a ton of leaves on the trees to just give the ice something to accrual on and add more weight. What’s bad is, and I know I’ve said this before, CLT metro is so overdue for a big ice storm.

Just want to throw this out here for the few Roanoke, VA folks like myself. NAM 12km and RGEM both show around 3–6 hours of heavy snow late Thursday night. Something to watch forsure. I think everyone could agree that getting snow for people on this board under this ------ ice storm would be awesome. IMG_4329.jpg
IMG_4328.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thankfully this year we've seen the temp reversal starting about 24-36 hours out and saves us from the ice. Otherwise Id probably still be out of power.
I think the only thing that’s concerning this time is we have some of the coldest air on our side that can easily be wedged in, but yeah watch this somehow trend to 34 and rain

Really wondering what is going on with the Weather Service in Memphis. Looks like Little Rock has taken over operations?

Back