• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Fall - End of 2019 Whamby

Status
Not open for further replies.
Snow.sleet.freezingrain.snow.sleet.freezing rain.snow.sleet.freezingrain.snow.sleet.freezingrain.snow.sleet.freezingrain.

Ok...I feel better. I guess my cyber Tourette's is acting up.

Cheer up! It can't be much longer till we have a winter storm............................ Can it? :eek:

Brad Panovich Meteorologist
·
80% of all the snow that has fallen in Charlotte occurs January to March. In fact, January 9th is the average 1st date of our first measurable snowfall over 141 years of record keeping. Another odd note March 2nd is actually the single snowiest day on record, meaning more snow has fallen on that date than any other date of the year. So while we can see snow in December it's actually not very common and even though it's warm now we still have the snowiest part of the cool-season left to go. In the 141 years of record-keeping in #Charlotte, we have never had a season or year with zero snow. The moral of the story don't write off the chances of snow when we aren't even to the coldest and snowiest part of the winter. #snOMG #cltwx #ncwx #scwx

I’m pretty sure @KyloG will agree on this, but can we get a January 17-18 2018 winter storm repeat, best snowstorm of my life when it comes to it being all snow

About as deflated a tweet from these guys that I have ever seen. They need to join the Whamby thread.

It is refreshing in a way to see them not keep saying delayed but not denied. The key imo is simply for any forecaster to not have winter forecasts averaging colder than normal in the E US (at least til the normals warm up) and there would likely be improvement just from that. I think it really is that simple. I know @Snowless & Grumpy would agree. Don’t fight the obvious trend. Join it. That’s easier said than done for forecasters with a good number of energy industry clients. And it shouldn’t be affected by what you want to happen.

It is refreshing in a way to see them not keep saying delayed but not denied. The key imo is simply for any forecaster to not have winter forecasts averaging colder than normal in the E US (at least til the normals warm up) and there would likely be improvement just from that.

I go back and forth on this. Are things so much different than the previous decade...more of a rhetorical question. Previous decade we had the following BN/AN winters. Fairly split.

BN: 2001, 2003, 2004, 2009, 2010
AN: 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

Current decade it’s been 2011, 2014, 2015 and then the super nino and after that it’s been rough. 2013 was AN but back half was fairly intense in parts of the east.

Its hard to argue considering we are going on our 5th AN winter in a row.

Analogs don't work well any more. Not sure what is to come, but in Tennessee a cold November had a strong correlation to a cold/snowy winter. Last years cold November fell flat in winter. Still pending for this year. I can't complain much. I've had 6 inches of snow in November and Early December this year. That's better than the last two Met winters here. In the 2010s its either boom or bust. I get 20+ inches or less than 8 every year.

I go back and forth on this. Are things so much different than the previous decade...more of a rhetorical question. Previous decade we had the following BN/AN winters. Fairly split.

BN: 2001, 2003, 2004, 2009, 2010
AN: 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

Current decade it’s been 2011, 2014, 2015 and then the super nino and after that it’s been rough. 2013 was AN but back half was fairly intense in parts of the east.

Its hard to argue considering we are going on our 5th AN winter in a row.
We blame it on bad luck always having a bad pattern. But if I'm not mistaken the whole US even the west is above average for winter temps this decade. The only exception is the northern plains. I don't have the composite right now but I'm fairly sure that's right though. I'd like to see composites for Europe and Asia for winters this decade as well to see if its mostly AN there too. If not it could be just bad luck I guess for the US.

This past decade has been a blood bath but the previous was fairly solid. Some good and some stinkers, but overall cold. Ready to be done with this decade, that’s for sure.

View attachment 29044View attachment 29045
The 2000s had some catastrophic winters, too, though. The 2010s were better for snowfall around here. The mid-2000s basically had back to back to back virtual shutouts.

Don't worry. In about 5 more years summer will be 8 months long, and our March flizzards will give way to upper 90s in April.

Cheer up! It can't be much longer till we have a winter storm............................ Can it? :eek:

Brad Panovich Meteorologist
In the 141 years of record-keeping in #Charlotte, we have never had a season or year with zero snow.
Kiss of death right there...place all of your bets on zero snow after Brad's post (and I love Brad).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back