• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Fail or Fab February 2023 Pattern Thread

Agreed. Gownensville east to Chesnee north of HWY 11 is the snow honey hole of SC. Been In the Upstate my whole life and it’s comical the drop in snowfall 5 miles make. Temp variances are the same.
Spartanburg County is one of the most interesting counties in the state in terms of microclimates IMO. The county is immediately east of extremely tall mountains so CAD really holds well here. The elevation topography of the county is big with hills and elevation of 500 ft in the southern part of the county to 800-900 ft along the interstate and 1000-1500ft north of there. I mean look at this snow footprint picture and notice where it lines up just south of lol.
MODIS_Aqua_regional_web.png

Spartanburg County is one of the most interesting counties in the state in terms of microclimates IMO. The county is immediately east of extremely tall mountains so CAD really holds well here. The elevation topography of the county is big with hills and elevation of 500 ft in the southern part of the county to 800-900 ft along the interstate and 1000-1500ft north of there. I mean look at this snow footprint picture and notice where it lines up just south of lol.
MODIS_Aqua_regional_web.png
Whenever I see I map like that, I’m amazed of how close that cut off is to I-85. It’s like Mother Nature knows exactly where it is

Whenever I see I map like that, I’m amazed of how close that cut off is to I-85. It’s like Mother Nature knows exactly where it is
I remember there was a storm a few years ago (I can't think off the top of my head) Where my girlfriend and I were out at a party at a friends and they were calling for snow that night. The party was in Moore and when we left it hard started raining. When we got up to about 3 miles south of 85 it started switching over to snow, by the time I got to 85 it was probably 80% snow, and by the time we made it home (12 miles north of 85) the roads where already covered. That's how serious that cutoff really is, especially in Marginal setups. When I got my tree and bush toppers, if I got on 26 and drove maybe 1-2 miles into NC it would've been full on ZR and they get a QTR inch of ice at least.

I’m so ready for our March slopfest snowstorm
That’s what sucks, by the time we get a better pattern to shape up (IF) we’re going to be battling sun angle, ground tempts, BL issues, etc. Granted some of our best storms have come in late February / early March, but it’s just nice to get a good cold storm in January.

I remember there was a storm a few years ago (I can't think off the top of my head) Where my girlfriend and I were out at a party at a friends and they were calling for snow that night. The party was in Moore and when we left it hard started raining. When we got up to about 3 miles south of 85 it started switching over to snow, by the time I got to 85 it was probably 80% snow, and by the time we made it home (12 miles north of 85) the roads where already covered. That's how serious that cutoff really is, especially in Marginal setups. When I got my tree and bush toppers, if I got on 26 and drove maybe 1-2 miles into NC it would've been full on ZR and they get a QTR inch of ice at least.
It’s the same here on the east side of CLT metro in Union County, NC. In the January 2017 storm, I was forecasted to get 4-7”, but instead got warm nosed and ended up with ,25” of ice and then 1/2” of snow as the storm was ending. Meanwhile 30 miles north at my parents house in Concord, there was a solid 5” of snow/sleet… my youngest son was so disappointed in how little snow we got, I had to take him to his grandparents house that afternoon to go sledding.

Last edited:
Not buying that unless it is some kind of rates overcoming... deal
I’m not buying it either… especially from the NAM at that range. However as has been said, with the cold coming in from more of northerly trajectory, there’s not as much downsloping so perhaps the cold air could work in fast enough to get a few flakes down that way, but that looks very extreme

It’s the same here on the east side of CLT metro in Union County, NC. In the January 2017 storm, I was forecasted to get 4-7”, but instead got warm nosed and ended up with ,25” of ice and then 1/2” of snow as the storm was ending. Meanwhile 30 miles north at my parents house in Concord, there was a solid 5” of snow/sleet… my youngest son was so disappointed in how little snow we got, I had to take him to his grandparents house that afternoon to go sledding.
I was in Davidson at the time and I ended up with 7”. Two places that are always gonna win: Lake Norman and Roxboro.

I was in Davidson at the time and I ended up with 7”. Two places that are always gonna win: Lake Norman and Roxboro.
Just to reinforce some of what's been posted here today about the 85 Gradient.
There's a reason why !
Also that pic that IGRXY posted was very telling.
You see the sharp cutoff in GVL & Spg counties.
On this board you always hear about the Wake gradient but,
That's not nearly as noticable to my eyes on that pic as in SC.
You can distinctly see the difference in what looks to be measurable snowfall just a few miles to nothing.

Meanwhile Dallaska strikes again. So sick of hearing about winter in Texas. At least we have the snowless I-95 corridor to warm the cockles of our hearts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
One thing is for sure. Over the last 3 or 4 years Dallas has had a lot more wintry weather than Atlanta.

Back