• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Fail or Fab February 2023 Pattern Thread

I appreciate the maps but it seems we’ve had a rip roaring pac jet all winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep.

You have a Southern Stream Vorticity that will slowly traverse through the south towards the Downwind side of quickly moving compressed Polar Vortex. It merely trailing along a frontal boundary with the only source of moisture flowing from the WSW . The Southern Stream Energy is unable to interact with the Polar Vortex, so the squashed heigh fields are inhibiting precipitation from developing in the cold regions. The upstream Ridge builds over the Southern Shortwave. Then the vorticity is shunted SE and gets strung out over SE FL. There needs to be a significant change in the PV speed, orientation, and amplification, and I don't see that happening with a storm barreling into the West Coast.

This Shortwave gets pinched off on the 00z GFS. Maybe it waits for the next trough, but then the cold air is gone. The only areas that may see snow are interior, mountainous regions of the MA.

Still a long way to go to get storm however. Need the TPV to slow down and not lift out so fast. Also need the wave coming out of the west to not get tugged by the N/S and allow the wave to dig otherwise it’s a mute point

Yeah it produced some ice in NE GA, parts of upstate SC and SW/W NC
c2c0bb8637799ca9ac00414b3f24aa91.gif

Sent from my SM-A136U1 using Tapatalk

1675053303211.png
The most important thing is to continue to trend things favorably and keep a storm signal which we have at this range. It is still 7 days away and you don’t want to see a storm right now yet. Overrunning potentials are known to trend to more moisture the closer you get as long as you keep trends favorable

View attachment 131765
Ughhhh those are great changes. Taller ridge going up out west with a wave that is digging more coming out of the west. 50/50 region took more steps to being better as well. This is positive if you want a storm

Go 6-12 hours forward. LOL. I wouldn't even call that pseudo 50/50 Low. The Western Ridge instantly collapses. And the scenario relies on the Southern Stream Vortex from the first system closing-off, and retrograding around Florida until the next trough pulls it up the East Coast. But don't let me rain on your parade.

gfs_z500aNorm_namer_fh162-180.gif

o_O

Go 6-12 hours forward. LOL. I wouldn't even call that pseudo 50/50 Low. The Western Ridge instantly collapses. And the scenario relies on the Southern Stream Vortex from the first system closing-off, and retrograding around Florida until the next trough pulls it up the East Coast. But don't let me rain on your parade.

View attachment 131773

o_O
Why are we expecting a perfect run at 156 hours on an Operational lmaooo ???? It’s about TRENDING better right now. But let me not rain on your parade

View attachment 131773

o_O

You don't need western ridging to get CAD.

North America NCEPR1 z500a NC Miller B Winter Storms (1948-2019).png

NCEPR1 MSLPa NC Miller B Winter Storms (1948-2019).png

Back