• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Fail or Fab February 2023 Pattern Thread

Step for step just like it’s OP. Well established CAD for 48-72 hours but moisture doesn’t start overrunning it until 12-24 hours too late.

That's certainly something we can live with 7-8 days out.

Slow/dig the trough over Quebec + Atlantic Canada more and the upstream trough + ridge will slow/dig, amplifying the surface high over New England and causing overrunning precipitation from the W-SW to be stronger & sooner on arrival/more likely to intersect the low-level cold air mass.

A few other encouraging signs for CAD at day 7-8:

✅ The coldest air in the entire Northern Hemisphere will also be over our CAD source regions of Quebec + Atlantic Canada next weekend.

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-nhemi-t850-5468800.png

✅ As much as I think this week's overrunning event may not do much for us thru Friday of this coming week, some fresh snow cover may be laid down to our north, keeping this arctic air mass refrigerated on its way southward into VA & the Carolinas next weekend (and will encourage it to persist longer too).

We have some of the right basic ingredients in place to make something happen around day 8 & the changes we need see to make something happen between now & then are pretty small in the grand scheme of things.

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-east-snow_depth-5533600.png

Middle Tennessee better hope the nam is wrong. I love snow but I’ll pass on the ZR. I’d rather have a 33 degree rain then no power. This is just round 1. Another round is about to come in after the first round drops this down starting early Tuesday morning.
5E8ABFAD-1091-4B14-901A-4338556C5522.png

That's certainly something we can live with 7-8 days out.

Slow/dig the trough over Quebec + Atlantic Canada more and the upstream trough + ridge will slow/dig, amplifying the surface high over New England and causing overrunning precipitation from the W-SW to be stronger & sooner on arrival/more likely to intersect the low-level cold air mass.

A few other encouraging signs for CAD at day 7-8:

✅ The coldest air in the entire Northern Hemisphere will also be over our CAD source regions of Quebec + Atlantic Canada next weekend.

View attachment 131643

✅ As much as I think this week's overrunning event may not do much for us thru Friday of this coming week, some fresh snow cover may be laid down to our north, keeping this arctic air mass refrigerated on its way southward into VA & the Carolinas next weekend (and will encourage it to persist longer too).

We have some of the right basic ingredients in place to make something happen around day 8 & the changes we need see to make something happen between now & then are pretty small in the grand scheme of things.

View attachment 131644

The Atlantic Side looks terrible. I think you need is a solid PNA that holds for a couple of days instead of this Alaska Ridge that is trying to dig a trough over the western United States, which causes things to slip further east. I'd argue that things are trending in the wrong direction with the NW CONUS Storm.

Bad Pattern.gif

It's looking something more like this 2016 image.
gfs240-1280x720.png

Middle Tennessee better hope the nam is wrong. I love snow but I’ll pass on the ZR. I’d rather have a 33 degree rain then no power. This is just round 1. Another round is about to come in after the first round drops this down starting early Tuesday morning.
View attachment 131647

Yeah I have no excitement for freezing rain here either which is what I'm afraid is what a lot of this is gonna be image3 (7).png

That would be really close. Verbatim, I'd estimate another 36 hours before CAD could establish.

icon_mslp_wind_us_41.png

I thought the 18z RDPS looked interesting at hour 84. There would be CAD building down from the north with dew points in the teens as close as the Mason-Dixion line.

1674943012440.png

I know it's hard to believe but we do have some members from Tennessee, Arkansas, northern Mississippi. I might fire up a thread for those folks for the system early to mid next week. Just wanted to let everyone know before areas to the east start posting nonsense about it not happening

Back