• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Fail or Fab February 2023 Pattern Thread

Let's punt the first s/w and role with the 192hr GFS.View attachment 131613

If I was a betting man, I'd place my bets entirely on the 2nd system & ignore the first one.

There's almost no realistic chance the cold/dry air gets way out in front of the moisture on arrival with the first system, which is usually a death sentence for CAD/overrunning events.
ecmwf-ensemble-avg-east-mslp_anom-5533600.png

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-east-t850_mslp_prcp6hr_mm-5533600.png

If I was a betting man, I'd place my bets entirely on the 2nd system & ignore the first one.

There's almost no realistic chance the cold/dry air gets way out in front of the moisture on arrival with the first system, which is usually a death sentence for CAD/overrunning events.
View attachment 131617

View attachment 131619
wow, yea I didn't check the 00z EPS for the day 9 threat but dang it has a nice wedge signal for sure.

View attachment 131617

View attachment 131619
Yeh definitely agree. It’s honestly pretty simple & really doesn’t need any deep explanation in any way. (Not a knock).. you simply get the cold air in place & let the overrunning take place, and there just isn’t any indication that is going to happen. Hopefully that second system starts showing up everywhere. Maybe VA can get a thump from the first. But I think it’s a fight with them also between extremely wet snow or either a cold 35° rain.

Yeh definitely agree. It’s honestly pretty simple & really doesn’t need any deep explanation in any way. (Not a knock).. you simply get the cold air in place & let the overrunning take place, and there just isn’t any indication that is going to happen. Hopefully that second system starts showing up everywhere. Maybe VA can get a thump from the first. But I think it’s a fight with them also between extremely wet snow or either a cold 35° rain.

We're having an entirely different conversation if this is a cut-off upper low &/or coastal cyclone. Having the cold air already is nice in those cases, but it's not the end of the world because the precipitation formation processes are totally different.

In overrunning/CAD, it is absolutely necessary to have the cold show up before the moisture does, because the entire time the column is warming from warm advection aloft that's generating large areas of light-moderate stratiform precipitation.

The 12z GEFS looks pretty decent to me for a potential CAD next weekend following this coming week's overrunning event.

Just need to see the SE Canada vortex slow up/dig a bit more here & we'd have something worth talking about.

View attachment 131622
Hopefully the Euro throws a bone with this. Guess we are about to find out.

All I see on these model maps are warm solutions for the Eastern Half of the nation with little mirages that occur in the long-range due to the transient positive PNA appearances that sometimes pop-out within the progressive, sometimes split-flowed, pattern. The entire Northern Hemisphere from Siberia to Bermuda looks terrible for major winter storm chances all the way into the I95 section of Mass. When I lived in NJ and PA, the only events I could look forward-to in this type of pattern would be some thread-the-needle/over-running event, but most of the snow would fall in the Ohio Valley and Appalachians. That's where snow may fall Northern Alabama/Mississippi to Western Apps, which is something I called in my forecast. The source of most of the cold air is coming from Eastern Russia/Alaska Arctic regions, and that usually favors cyclones in the Western/Central US and Newfoundland to Central Atlantic.

Yick. This warm vortex looks ready to phase over the Atlantic to create some fish storm.
3719b50b-79dd-4a7a-bb2a-092ebbed3f8d.gif

Last edited:
This is about the only thing that needs to change on the ECMWF Ensemble in 7-8 days to yield a strong CAD/ice storm next weekend.

Screen Shot 2023-01-28 at 12.53.18 PM.png

Very workable setup here, with cold air already well established by the time any moisture could overrun it from the W-SW. The only issue of course is the vortex over Atlantic Canada gets out of the way just a tick too soon, favoring CAD erosion &/or more of an in-situ vs classic CAD. That kind of thing isn't difficult to change this far out though.

I certainly can see some potential here, particularly for the western piedmont & foothills

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-east-mslp_norm_anom-5555200.png

This is about the only thing that needs to change on the ECMWF Ensemble in 7-8 days to yield a strong CAD/ice storm next weekend.

View attachment 131640

Very workable setup here, with cold air already well established by the time any moisture could overrun it from the W-SW. The only issue of course is the vortex over Atlantic Canada gets out of the way just a tick too soon, favoring CAD erosion &/or more of an in-situ vs classic CAD. That kind of thing isn't difficult to change this far out though.

View attachment 131641
Step for step just like it’s OP. Well established CAD for 48-72 hours but moisture doesn’t start overrunning it until 12-24 hours too late.

Back