• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Fail or Fab February 2023 Pattern Thread

GFS has Atlanta getting up to 83 on Thursday which would just be hilarious for February 23rd

It's happened before (see 2018).

EDIT: Technically, the high on 2/23/18 was 79*F, but it was surrounded by a pair of 83*F on 2/22 and 2/24...

Some good old radiational cooling. One of those 65°/27° days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I remember the freeze he’s talking about because it occurred right after a major tornado outbreak in the western Carolinas on 5/5… it was a legit May cold snap with highs barely getting into the 50s outside the mountains

The 18z GFS is taking away next weekend's cool snap from the NC/VA line and south. Looks like a really long warm and dry period coming up for many of us.

Yep, looks like the -PNA is winning out. Don’t bet against pattern persistence.

Meanwhile NYC finally gets a good snow!

Back Yard "thermo" got up too 83F today..

though the "Official High" might have been around 76F or so.. (NWS) @ KILM.

Current Obs.. (Backyard).

65F.. / 57F

Pressure 29.89 in
Visibility Limited & overcast/Mist
Clouds Overcast
Dew Point 63 F
Humidity 97 %
Rainfall 0.31 in
Wind WSW @17MPH..

EPS still showing a nice transition into a
-NAO and continually holding the 50/50 low. Pacific remains the same but being able to count on CAD to keep things at a minimum average to slightly below average around here will be nice.
more like slightly above normal, it’s clear the -PNA is gonna keep things on the warmer side with a few cad days, next weekend is a good example as we have went from the wedge to warm

more like slightly above normal, it’s clear the -PNA is gonna keep things on the warmer side with a few cad days, next weekend is a good example as we have went from the wedge to warm

Yes, pretty clear as we get under 5 days we keep seeing the wedge lose ground. Until we see that change there’s no good reason to assume a reliable pattern change takes hold.

If we could get snow the cold would be ok. We are not getting winter precip so I prefer it to be warmer. 60-65 would be fine in Jan and Feb. I just do not see any use for the kind of cold we had before Christmas at any time though. That needs to stay well away from here.
The cold at Christmas barely lasted 3 days. What was so bad about it. Really just Friday and Saturday we're cold but not historic and then we were back above freezing and near 40 degrees on Christmas. I personally would like about 2 weeks of that weather around here just to show people it can still get cold around here and stay a week or two like it used to. If I can't have snow I'll take the cold any day any time. Might not happen again anytime soon but it will happen again and I just hope im around to see it. Getting ready for close to 80 next week and then the bottom to fall out sometime in March and again in April and again in May guaranteed until the miserable heat and humidity overtakes me and I begin to melt until around Halloween or the first week of November as usual. Bring on the wedges. My only hope in the short term to deal with May weather in February.

GFS has Atlanta getting up to 83 on Thursday which would just be hilarious for February 23rd

2M temps in the 80's in Feb/March are certainly not normal but it does happen... the 1st week of March/2022 last year - Memphis recorded several days in the upper 70's and a couple days in the low 80's. Then we turned cold in week 2. On 3/11 we picked up 4"-6" of snow with temps in the 20's. The moral of the story is March can be very unpredictable and some of the biggest snows in the Mid-South/ South-East have occurred during this time.

RcA6Bst.png

The gfs is slowly trending back to having a cooler shot next weekend at least north of I-20. Still above normal, but not as warm as before. The Carolinas need to watch Wednesday for a cooler day too. The boundary has dropped from Penn down to the NC/VA border now. Also trending a little cooler out in the extended too.

Back