• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Fail or Fab February 2023 Pattern Thread

The persistent and continuing trend of a legit -NAO to be present in the medium and long range looks increasingly likely. If this continues march could be the most interesting winter month of all of them around here. View attachment 133346

If 44° and rain is interesting then maybe so. Maybe some mountain ice if you’re into that sort of thing. You might sneak out something up your way.

The -NAO will still have to contend with a relentless -PNA. Some back and forth for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you look closely at the map,it shows Huntsville near normal. Which is correct.
I know this goes to banter now, but Guntersville got snow the same time Madison and Huntsville did at least one of the times, but it doesnt't matter, no place in Alabama averages 3 inches a year unless maybe the highest peaks. If they got no snow aT ALL THAT MAP IS WRONG! SAME FOR MISSISSIPPI!

30 degrees and snowing up on Beech mtn currently
29 now and it's coming down pretty good. When snow is hard to come by, at least we have places like this that we can go to rather quickly.

I know this goes to banter now, but Guntersville got snow the same time Madison and Huntsville did at least one of the times, but it doesnt't matter, no place in Alabama averages 3 inches a year unless maybe the highest peaks. If they got no snow aT ALL THAT MAP IS WRONG! SAME FOR MISSISSIPPI!
The 6 to 12 below normal for Southern Mississippi really confuses me.

Pna looks stay negative and get lower more as we head towards March

I wonder why a relentless negative PNA is possible in winter but never a relentless positive PNA. We’re lucky if we get a positive PNA for a week and this is like every winter now. Im so ready to leave La Nina behind. Atlanta statistically does so much better with snow in El Ninos.

Better yet, stop hoping for these out of season heat waves that bring everything out early when we know there will be more freezes later. Just enjoy the chances for cool/cold weather when we have them, the heat will come later regardless.

I know, I know... what we hope for has no bearing but still...
If we could get snow the cold would be ok. We are not getting winter precip so I prefer it to be warmer. 60-65 would be fine in Jan and Feb. I just do not see any use for the kind of cold we had before Christmas at any time though. That needs to stay well away from here.

If we could get snow the cold would be ok. We are not getting winter precip so I prefer it to be warmer. 60-65 would be fine in Jan and Feb. I just do not see any use for the kind of cold we had before Christmas at any time though. That needs to stay well away from here.
The problem is that we’re setting up to see major agricultural damage later this spring that will produce millions of dollars in losses to farmers with after how warm it will be for a few days next week. Despite what some may think, we will get more cold snaps and hard freezes between now and at least early April. There is going to a lot of berry and peach blossoms that will be coming out next week very early and many of them won’t be surviving to yield fruit.

The problem is that we’re setting up to see major agricultural damage later this spring that will produce millions of dollars in losses to farmers with after how warm it will be for a few days next week. Despite what some may think, we will get more cold snaps and hard freezes between now and at least early April. There is going to a lot of berry and peach blossoms that will be coming out next week very early and many of them won’t be surviving to yield fruit.
It's a yearly thing now. We are just stuck in a vicious cycle. I've had one good apple year in the last 5 or so years.

It's a yearly thing now. We are just stuck in a vicious cycle. I've had one good apple year in the last 5 or so years.
Yes and unfortunately it becomes a ripple effect. Farmer’s don’t bring in what they budget on berries, peaches, etc., so that drives prices up on other produce throughout the summer and fall.

That's true enough. Even in the warmest winters we do always seem to have a freeze sometime in April. Even in May at GSP in 1989.

I wonder why a relentless negative PNA is possible in winter but never a relentless positive PNA. We’re lucky if we get a positive PNA for a week and this is like every winter now. Im so ready to leave La Nina behind. Atlanta statistically does so much better with snow in El Ninos.

It’s everything to do with the relentless Nina. If we transition to El Niño we are likely to see more positive PNA. It’s been a foregone conclusion that El Niño is coming but it’s by no means a sure thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back