• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Fail or Fab February 2023 Pattern Thread

What I don't understand is the snow over Bedford, Amherst and Appomattox counties and even Lynchburg. I would expect at least Roanoke county would be snow as well.
I think it may be time to make a little YouTube video and explain the several reasons why Roanoke sucks in marginal cold snow events. It’s not just elevation related, a lot of it has to do with the way the mountains are oriented when cold comes from NW.

View attachment 132010
I’m ------- done with this bs, sfc temps in the city are killer. Yes it’s majority rain here in the city but all around me in every direction is snow.
Yea, most of the time it seems like I get mixing longer where I am because the wind pushed that air from the city over me. Wish we could have been under that heavier band just to our south. that may have produced a little slush.

I think it may be time to make a little YouTube video and explain the several reasons why Roanoke sucks in marginal cold snow events. It’s not just elevation related, a lot of it has to do with the way the mountains are oriented when cold comes from NW.
Certainly a very complex climate in this area. Completely different from Columbia SC where the only variable is the urban heat island.

What I don't understand is the snow over Bedford, Amherst and Appomattox counties and even Lynchburg. I would expect at least Roanoke county would be snow as well.
I am 2 miles from tanglewood mall and 400 ft above the river in elevation. Sometimes I do get accumulation when the mall does not. This one is weird because weather stations up at bent mountain/poor mountain are right at 32 and I would expect them to be a bit colder with it 34 here.

Yea, most of the time it seems like I get mixing longer where I am because the wind pushed that air from the city over me. Wish we could have been under that heavier band just to our south. that may have produced a little slush.
I am under the northern part of that band and still just nothing but light rain. The heavier echoes must be where it is mixing aloft. Temp down to 36 though so maybe we will get a changeover before the precip shuts off.

I am 2 miles from tanglewood mall and 400 ft above the river in elevation. Sometimes I do get accumulation when the mall does not. This one is weird because weather stations up at bent mountain/poor mountain are right at 32 and I would expect them to be a bit colder with it 34 here.
Even up here, the accumulation is weird. Bare ground at I-81 But just a few miles north near Merrimac, the ground is covered.

Snow #7 in progress

Banner Elk

Beech

Back