Pattern Fabulous February

• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!
My wife loves storms.. lol. She’s always asking are we getting a storm. Lol.
The funny part about it is. Sometime the local news and weather will be blowing it way out of context. Like hide your wife and kids. And she will ask me about it and I just say. “Meh”. There has been a few times I have said. You need to get you and the kids in the bathroom.

Feb 8-12 storm threat went poof in the FV3 as well. And it’s not one of those looks that just comes back in a couple of runs. The pattern no longer supports it

Yup I stated this morning that fv3 would lose it. And that’s exactly what happened. It’s just the same pattern we are following this winter. It’s very predictable. You get a storm 10 plus days for several runs then poof it’s gone. Sorry if banter but I feel like I’m describing the pattern we are in thus winter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wake me up when we actually get a legitimate threat inside day 6, these day 9-12 modeled fantasies are obviously far more apt to largely continue to fall flat on their face as we've seen time & time again lately. All the models including the GFS, FV3, ECMWF, CMC, etc have decoupling biases over areas w/ snow cover which causes some of their long range forecasts to end up too cold & the surface highs to our north are usually too intense as a result, which in effect pushes the storm track SEward, likely too far SE vs reality all else considered equal which is part of the reason why these LR storms "trend NW" as we get closer to verification.

Last edited:
a4f005b04439c1be290b5f542794be29.jpg

This looks good to me. Hopefully it will verify.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Checking the ops from overnight, The American suite (GFS & FV3) have backed off the Feb 9-10 flip, postponing it , if that until day 13-15. The Canadian(GDPS) and CFS are still on board for ending the torch next weekend ( 2/9-2/10). Fact the CFS has 2 LR fantasy hits NC Pre-Feb 15. Euro looks like it has a nice HP 1040 ish for next weekend sitting up over NE by Sunday that should at least keep the surface cold east of the apps.

The EPS agrees with its op and the GEFs looks good especially NC Starting 2/13 onward. Bottom line Is the Flip looks like 2/10-2/12 instead of 2/8-2/10. I'm sure in By late this weekend it will be getting kicked down the road another 2 or 3 days, we'll see. I've learned the hard way this season to not trust anything or anyone advertising a pattern change until inside 5 days. Until we cross this thresh hold personally I'm in the winter is over camp. If the models can ever get us back inside 120 hrs then and only then will I change my tune.

I would say it looks like the pattern was overhyped again, but sometimes it seems like we have no idea anymore what pattern and indices really give us a better than normal shot at winter storms here. It feels like what applied in the past doesn't apply anymore.

Wake me up when we actually get a legitimate threat inside day 6, these day 9-12 modeled fantasies are obviously far more apt to largely continue to fall flat on their face as we've seen time & time again lately. All the models including the GFS, FV3, ECMWF, CMC, etc have decoupling biases over areas w/ snow cover which causes some of their long range forecasts to end up too cold & the surface highs to our north are usually too intense as a result, which in effect pushes the storm track SEward, likely too far SE vs reality all else considered equal which is part of the reason why these LR storms "trend NW" as we get closer to verification.
Not to take anything away from Web's awesome explanation, layman's translation the models suck..