• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Fabulous February

Not that much of drop at ATL. And don’t forget 2/25/1914, which gave major wintry all the way down here and have middle GA 2nf heaviest snow in record!

The late February 1914 storm was arguably one of the all time greats in parts of east-central SC until the Feb 1973 storm came along. 1913-14 is the quintessential definition of a backloaded El Nino winter, the hits kept just coming one after another from mid February right on into mid-late March.

February 13-15 1914 NC Snowmap.png
February 25-26 1914 NC Snowmap.png

March 11-12 1914 NC Snowmap.png
March 20-21 1914 NC Snowmap.png
March 22-23 1914 NC Snowmap.png

I’ve looked at wintry climo frequency for CAE, CHS, JAX, GNV, and ATL and found a winter max AFTER the first week in Feb and in weeks 2 & 3 for some reason. I don’t know the reason! ATL even had a good bit more in week 4 than week 1!

oddly its our best month too, including the biggest snowstorm on record

January hasn't even been snowy here in like 20 years but numerous February's have *shrugs*

oddly the biggest snowstorm since I've been here was March 4-5...

With an average high not far from 60, it honestly amazes me it snows at all in February in Atlanta.

Avg ATL high doesn’t get above mid 50s til after midmonth. Also, SAV has had their 2nd biggest snow ever and it was in early March, when average high is already up to high 60s! Furthermore, GNV, FL has had a trace of wintry as late as late March, when their normal high is way up to mid 70s! SAV’s coldest midwinter avg high is near 60 and we get measurable snow about once every 7 years on average.

For those starting to think a little ahead towards the winter of 2019-20 here comes another westerly wind burst (WWB) that'll help set the base state of the Equatorial Pacific in the spring predictability barrier, possibly making the Pacific more apt to produce a legitimate El Nino later this year.
u.anom.30.5S-5N (8).gif

For those starting to think a little ahead towards the winter of 2019-20 here comes another westerly wind burst (WWB) that'll help set the base state of the Equatorial Pacific in the spring predictability barrier, possibly making the Pacific more apt to produce a legitimate El Nino later this year.
View attachment 13082
Madness starts already. Lol

CMC was a blockbuster event! Incredible low track for the heart of winter. Just impeccable. Stellar in all honesty...fml673B6614-ECD8-4B76-ACC3-F03263C99E62.png

CMC energy comes in HOT!
9597F4E6-8FFB-4E1D-BA8C-2A562A041D2D.png
Then the WAR failboat launches
BA0FAE0A-97C7-46E3-80EF-39DC3A6DEA9E.png
Sometimes it just doesn’t want to snow

looking at MSLP 00z Euro has a completely different look from 12z at the start of February..shocker..all bad for eastern areas

What a horrible 6z GEFS run. After February 3, the PV retreats to central Canada toward the pole and ridging envelopes the entire conus. We're probably done if that transpires. Anybody got the EPS? Please tell me they don't ridge up the whole US like this. I'm telling ya, I think the WAR is just not going away this winter, no matter what the weeklies say.

1548429282178.png

What a horrible 6z GEFS run. After February 3, the PV retreats to central Canada toward the pole and ridging envelopes the entire conus. We're probably done if that transpires. Anybody got the EPS? Please tell me they don't ridge up the whole US like this. I'm telling ya, I think the WAR is just not going away this winter, no matter what the weeklies say.

View attachment 13210
It's not as bad as it seems. We could have a huge SER developing. There is still evidence of a ridge out west and a trough in the east, so it could trend colder as time passes.

Looks a little warm for SC?

Looks cold enough now. When whatever happens to get it unsuppressed and trend NW takes place, at that time, who knows? Makes sense, this is a bit of a tail end of a pattern change/relax period where the PV retreats.

1548435232986.png

Back