• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Fab-February 2020 The dark age

GFS at the very least has been hugging the idea of a cold wave setting in in about 9 days now, if that's true then perhaps we have a shot at something.

#itwasrightaboutaCADsituationinSeptemberlastyear

Gfs looks to be issuing warning shots on three potentials .. 1st comes some sort of Anafrontal type system(gotta love them), 2nd seems to be a storm riding on the heels of the frontal system .. then the 3rd seems to be another piece of energy pinwheeling behind that ... ample opportunities in medium to long range .. I’ll take it

The euro had the same setup at 00z as this 12z gfs run for the day 8/9 stuff that the gfs just showed . The outcome wasn’t the same . But both have strong front moving into the southeast with falling temps getting hung up . Great overrunning setup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Incoming again at the end of the run..4 southern snows that run..I mean, we cant go 0 for 4 right?

Would love to see what the Euro says in a few days about the coming timeperiod...although it maybe wasn't as good as the GFS runs have been, it kinda didn't look drastically different, did suggest it might try with a front for starters.

Maybe in a few days we will be able to start tracking the February 5th-10th period.

The 12z UKMET is really close to being a decent thumping of snow for the I-85 corridor.

Mid 30s with just a very shallow layer of warm air near the surface, and near 0C 925mb temps.

1580146118319.png

925th.us_ma (1).png

This is taken near Charlotte on Friday night. Borderline wet snow sounding here w/ a near isothermal layer from 850mb to the surface, without any deep layer warm advection, heavier rates would result in some snow if there's sufficient lift in the DGZ. DGZ is somewhat dry however due to CAA and deep layer descent beginning to occur on the backside of the low, but that can certainly change between now & then. A slightly slower and deeper coastal low would certainly increase the potential for +SN near & west of I-85.

1580145824649.png

Friendly reminder; we may be entering a more favorable Winter weather setup in the "not too far future", please direct all "in my back yard posts" like "what bout here", "what does it show for locationhere" into the banter threads. It's impossible to give a personalized forecast to each individual person, so wait for the maps, or responses for your question(in the banter thread) so we will have a smooth flow of modeling/run information.

The 12z UKMET is really close to being a decent thumping of snow for the I-85 corridor.

Mid 30s with just a very shallow layer of warm air near the surface, and near 0C 925mb temps.

View attachment 32299

View attachment 32295

This is taken near Charlotte on Friday night. Borderline wet snow sounding here w/ a near isothermal layer from 850mb to the surface, without any deep layer warm advection, heavier rates would result in some snow if there's sufficient lift in the DGZ. DGZ is somewhat dry however due to CAA and deep layer descent beginning to occur on the backside of the low, but that can certainly change between now & then. A slightly slower and deeper coastal low would certainly increase the potential for +SN near & west of I-85.

View attachment 32296

Given how this winter has played out thus far, I'm legitimately curious how we're gonna screw it up this time because I'm sure we'll find a way.

GEFS doesn't really support what the GFS shows storm wise but this looks solid:

1580146286875.png

Even if you want to call cold bias too. Workable, wish this was at day 10 and not beyond, hopefully we get it there.

Given how this winter has played out thus far, I'm legitimately curious how we're gonna screw it up this time because I'm sure we'll find a way.

The weekend system has tons of potential. Multiple pieces of energy moving in tandem always can be an interesting event if you get it to all line up. We would likely be talking about a Western NC setup as cold is marginal but its on the table for sure. Not to mention we could have some legit NW flow if we get this sucker to really wrap up.

We are crazy to expect models to nail this down even 80 hrs out. let alone 5-6 days.gfs_z500_vort_us_20.png

The weekend system has tons of potential. Multiple pieces of energy moving in tandem always can be an interesting event if you get it to all line up. We would likely be talking about a Western NC setup as cold is marginal but its on the table for sure. Not to mention we could have some legit NW flow if we get this sucker to really wrap up.

We are crazy to expect models to nail this down even 80 hrs out. let alone 5-6 days.View attachment 32304

I’m watching this one carefully. Have my eye on a place in Maggie Valley that is 3750 feet in elevation and EPS and GEFS have some crazy members showing something really good.

This Euro run kicks our s/w out of the SW US & northern Mexico a bit faster than the previous cycles, should result in better phasing and possibly a bigger storm downstream

GEFS doesn't really support what the GFS shows storm wise but this looks solid:

View attachment 32300

Even if you want to call cold bias too. Workable, wish this was at day 10 and not beyond, hopefully we get it there.

Day 8 is totally workable
7f80ceed0e720cbaaa35931f1b08842e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This Euro run kicks our s/w out of the SW US & northern Mexico a bit faster than the previous cycles, should result in better phasing and possibly a bigger storm downstream

Later in the run, the primary wave starts to hang back more than previous cycles, resulting in less phasing & a weak/strung out mess near the SE US coast.

View attachment 32299

View attachment 32295

View attachment 32296
Doesnt the Ukie have a warm bias at ground level? I could be wrong tho
TIA

Back