• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Fab-February 2020 The dark age

Keep in mind that the first 2 images are warmer 12Z GEFS comparisons to 0Z, which themselves were significantly warmer than 12 hours before it (12Z yesterday, which are reflected in the bottom 2 of the 4 GEFS images):

1580232258901.png
1580232290375.png

1580232530202.png

1580233160849.png

Attachments

• 1580232551256.png
    1580232551256.png
    42.2 KB · Views: 61
  • 1580232551386.png
    1580232551386.png
    42.2 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
The AAM peaked at +1.57 on 1/22, which was near the time of the SE cold peak. It has since dropped to +1.16 as of yesterday. The EPS projects it will dip to -0.6 as of 2/11 while the -AAM biased GEFS has it all the way down to -1.56 on 2/11.

The -AAM has a significant (40%) correlation to a stronger SER. That's a key reason why the SER/NE PAC ridge/La Nina-like pattern is making a comeback on models. Thanks to Maxar for teaching me about this.

The AAM peaked at +1.57 on 1/22, which was near the time of the SE cold peak. It has since dropped to +1.16 as of yesterday. The EPS projects it will dip to -0.6 as of 2/11 while the -AAM biased GEFS has it all the way down to -1.56 on 2/11.

The -AAM has a significant (40%) correlation to a stronger SER. That's a key reason why the SER/NE PAC ridge/La Nina-like pattern is making a comeback on models. Thanks to Maxar for teaching me about this.
Not to mention, this “-AAM” is coming at a time where we are starting to warmup from the depths of winter, so this starts influencing and increasing the threat of severe weather as we head into late winter/spring

Not to mention, this “-AAM” is coming at a time where we are starting to warmup from the depths of winter, so this starts influencing and increasing the threat of severe weather as we head into late winter/spring

Actually, I'm leaning toward it coming back up to a +AAM late Feb or early March helping us to get colder again then.

Actually, I'm leaning toward it coming back up to a +AAM late Feb or early March helping us to get colder again then.

I know, I’m just saying, this is why people on wx twitter get excited from a -AAM during spring

This is probably why the gefs has that more “dramatic” ugly look at the end of its run (shallow ridge south of Alaska, -PNA, SER ) from its bias

Yeah, I don't think this Euro is going to do it. Has a LOT more southeast ridge compared to 0z so far. I'll watch for another day or two, but we might be about to be SOL here as well.

Edit: and as far as I care, for winter too outside of the Appalachian Mountains and maybe western part of the south.

Webb, I got to say...correct me if I am wrong please, but I know for most south of I-20 and South of I-85 this is usually** our best shot at a winter storm (outside of CAD events)
Yes, you need patterns like this that throw as much cold air as possible into the SE US because even a halfway decent cold shot isn’t often sufficient enough to produce snow south of I 20

Seen a lot of this so far this winter haven’t we

prateptype_cat_ecmwf.conus.png

Back