• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Dry July 2024

Think it hit 101 in Charlotte! Crazy heatwave!

Loving the look of the 6z GFS for precip, probably won't come to fruition but one can hope.
Outside of a tropical system or a stalled ull this upcoming pattern is about as good as you can get for most of nc in the summer for widespread rain over a multi day period.

Last edited:
Outside of a tropical system or a stalled ull this upcoming pattern is about as good as you can get for most of nc in the summer for widespread rain over a multi day period.

The storms east of me yesterday didn't move and dropped 4 inches in places...even had a flash flood warning. Guess we all just have to wait till we finally get lucky and have one of these storms park over us.

The storms east of me yesterday didn't move and dropped 4 inches in places...even had a flash flood warning. Guess we all just have to wait till we finally get lucky and have one of these storms park over us.
I think that today and tomorrow have pretty widespread coverage. I am concerned today just lines up just W of 95 and sits there but instability and pwats will be so high outflow collisions and propagation should help spread things out

Greg Fishel's response to WRAL met Kat Campbell's Facebook post about RDU hitting 106.

My point is this. The science categorically supports the idea that Man is warming the climate. But bad data is bad data. There isn't a properly sited observation anywhere in Wake County within 5 degrees F of that RDU reading. It's pure and unadulterated trash!
seems that both things can be true that yesterday was a historically hot day but not all time hot, maybe worthy of 102-103 reading under a median microclimate. i don't know what rdu's voodoo magic is but everything i'm reading clocks it as a microclimate issue and not a sensor issue. idk how you fix it since having that long term, historical source of data in the same place is valuable. on a side not i don't think you are blasting past records with this kind of air mass, to me it will take something advected in from the west/plains with lower moisture content and a southwest downsloping wind.

also be kind to kat i texted her this morning and she sent me back a message that isn't forum appropriate, i think all rdu weather teams are at their wits end on this little sensor issue

I'm hoping today is the day we finally get one of those soakers. We've had the worst luck since the beginning of June.

1 pm readings today.

RDU - 96
FAY - 92
GSO - 89

RDU on fire again today.

To be fair, Halifax is also at 95, so maybe RDU’s reading isn’t too crazy.

All they have to do is make sure the sensor isn't over or near the runways, and make sure it isn't in any kind of direct sunlight. Why do they refuse to do that? Bigger question, why are the official reporting sensors at airports in the first place? They should be located in a park or federal land that is protected. With fiber or cellular connectivity there is no excuse.

Back