• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Dry July 2024

We went from no rain for nearly a month to rain everyday for weeks now it seems like. Tar River is full and we have a flood watch out for widespread 3-4" and 4-8" possible. A tropical system coming in anytime in the next few weeks would be bad.

PGV could top 15" for the month

Many, myself included, forget that it’s a summer pattern and that your neighbors may score while you’re high and dry. I don’t think I’ve gotten the rain that others in my locale have gotten but that’s life!
I can understand. I haven't done well at all myself until the past week. Not sure of the summer totals but I do know that GSP Airport is only at 3.6 for the entire summer since June 1st. 1.8 in June and only 1.8 this month.

Up Early again this morning..

@Shaggy, @lexxnchloe
looks like We have yet another morning Soaker coming in w/in the next couple hours..
Got split again a little. Still got a solid .40 which is awesome especially when no models even showed the rain this morning.

However once again just to my NW and SE both had near 1 inch or higher totals. I'd love to understand the dynamics that go into these little hot zones. Is it higher moisture and better humidity for the storms to form on and follow? I'm still winning plenty but I'd love to get one of theose gullywashers one day.

KLTX - Digital Storm Total Accum., 8_31 AM.png

Last edited:
Once the cold front swings through the area and high pressure from the north builds in, the weather should be glorious this weekend for this time of year which climatology wise is the hottest part of the year with highs in the mid eighties and lows in the mid sixties. I imagine there will be a lot of lawn and garden maintenance going on this weekend. I'll be working in my garden this weekend. I might finally have some cantaloupes and watermelons to harvest.

Its interesting my area moved up to D2 since last week, but I've had 6 inches of rain this month.
Depending on your soil compactness and clay content, it might not be as wet as you think. Once clay soils dry out, it takes time to get them hydrated again. One more month of 4" to 5" of rain ought to get you to D1 and then out of drought by next spring (assuming the fall will be typically dry).

Depending on your soil compactness and clay content, it might not be as wet as you think. Once clay soils dry out, it takes time to get them hydrated again. One more month of 4" to 5" of rain ought to get you to D1 and then out of drought by next spring (assuming the fall will be typically dry).
Another thing on the clay soils is that if it’s very dry and hard like many area were before this wet period started, heavy downpours will often run off instead of being efficiently soaked into the ground. My area has been pretty fortunate this month in that we’ve seen a lot of good soaking rains that have lasted for a few hours and the ground has soaked it in.

If we are going to see the flood watch verify the next 4-6 hours will be the time to do it locally. Too bad KRAX and TRDU are dead
It looks like the area from near Charlotte over to Rocky Mount may very well be going to verify. Advisories already up and training showers and storms there. The tail end of that area dropped more rain here not long ago. Thing are going to dry out some and warm up, but it does not look to be like it was earlier this month.

It looks like the area from near Charlotte over to Rocky Mount may very well be going to verify. Advisories already up and training showers and storms there. The tail end of that area dropped more rain here not long ago. Thing are going to dry out some and warm up, but it does not look to be like it was earlier this month.
There are probably going to be a few days sprinkled in over the next 2 weeks where we get some widespread mid 90s maybe upper as this pattern tries to heat release but the general rule is going to be 87-92 most days

Back